PDA

View Full Version : Separation anxiety/stress

bananarbabe
03-11-11, 00:36
I could use some extra support this evening. I started a new job yesterday and am in a different state for training. I have been getting anxious lately and have had irrational thoughts running through my head. I keep having thoughts about family members being sick or dead or have thoughts about something being wrong for no reason. I'm not liking being alone. How can I relax and de stress?

I'm sure the separation anxiety is stemming from the big life change, I just need some help adapting and learning how to relax. Thank you.

keepcalmandcarryon
04-11-11, 07:38
I feel exactly the same. I'm 17 and worry about my parents dying all the time.

All I can say it try to be busy. When I'm at work I'm always asking for lots to do, which I find brilliant because it takes me mind off it.

When I get home in the evening, if my parents and is are in a good mood, I will sit and chat to them for an hour or so, and this always makes me feel sooo much better. if they are in a bad mood, or I'm having a bad day, I will just go up to my room and watch loads of tv lol.

it's all about distractions, but at the same time you should ignore and repress the feelings because they get worse.

I find that if I'm suddenly panicking for some reason I find it useful to write.

it took me months to take this advice though. my counsellor kept telling me it would dbe useful but I though 'how can writing be useful?'

I also write down what I'm worrying about, and the underneath I write why I shouldn't worry. things like "my parents are fine" "you can waste your life worrying about someone dying" just little things, and I have found swriting really useful. when I get really anxious, I often feel confused, so I feel so much better knowing that all of those thoughts are out on a bit of paper and are no longer swirling in my head.

also if you may find it useful, prepare for their death. I found loads of websites which are support for people suffering loss, and have already looked at loads of coping strategies. I have also made a plan about what to do if one of them dies.

I know it's a bit morbid, so make sure you chose the right time to do it, but by preparing slightly has made me less anxious for when that day actually comes

I hope I have helped and message me if you ever need anything else xxxxx

Witchitygrub
05-11-11, 00:30
Hi bananarbabe (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/member.php?u=284), I also get seperation anxiety, dependancy issues on people. I'm not sure how to overcome it, the thoughts though is a good thing starting there, trying to tell yourself nothing will happen bad. I think mine started after the death of a loved one, many years ago.