PDA

View Full Version : Sleepless night and panic

mum83
03-11-11, 02:11
I am having a rough night- trouble sleeping. I just can't seem to get over what happened to me this summer. To make a long story short, i was drinking too much which led onto terrible anxiety. I went to my gp and was prescribed citalopram which sent me into another galaxy of crazy for about 2 weeks. My biggest fear is going mad and for those 2 weeks my fear became reality. Although for the most part i feel i have recovered, i still feel haunted by what happened and the fears of those days comes back, sometimes momentarily, sometimes hours at a time. When i think back to how bad i was, practically begging my husband to take me to hospital (my biggest fear because of my dad's mental history) it is so HAUNTING to me- that is the best word i can use to describe it. How do i completely get over this fear and let go of it?

Witchitygrub
03-11-11, 09:02
I am having a rough night- trouble sleeping. I just can't seem to get over what happened to me this summer. To make a long story short, i was drinking too much which led onto terrible anxiety. I went to my gp and was prescribed citalopram which sent me into another galaxy of crazy for about 2 weeks. My biggest fear is going mad and for those 2 weeks my fear became reality. Although for the most part i feel i have recovered, i still feel haunted by what happened and the fears of those days comes back, sometimes momentarily, sometimes hours at a time. When i think back to how bad i was, practically begging my husband to take me to hospital (my biggest fear because of my dad's mental history) it is so HAUNTING to me- that is the best word i can use to describe it. How do i completely get over this fear and let go of it?

Hi Mum83, Well I've had thing in the past i felt like i was going completely mad, bad periods i guess. Remember though for what it is bad panic i guess?, does that make sense.

mum83
03-11-11, 09:13
Yes I know it's panic but it's so hard because one sleepless night ruins the whole next day and it goes on and on. I'm on day 10 off Mirtazapine. Hard to know whether this is me or withdrawl symptoms. (Although I was only on it for 2 months, small dose and I did taper.)

Mindful
03-11-11, 19:17
I can relate to the lack of sleep, on and off now for 15 years. Its like a vicious circle, you cant sleep= feel terrible the next day= feeling anxious = tensing up= struggling through the days chores= more tired= restless in bed= pressure to get a good nights kip= anxiety about falling to sleep= no sleep= next day and repeat.

---------- Post added at 19:17 ---------- Previous post was at 19:11 ----------

How do i completely get over this fear and let go of it?

I know the answer to this question, but putting it in to practice is something i cant seem to do myself very well.

You get over the fear and let it go by accepting it for what it is and nothing more. Every time a thought pops into your head that makes you feel anxious about the past or all those ''what if's?'' you have to accept the thought as a thought and nothing more.

The more you hold on to the thought and analise it, the more it creates fear of the thought.

If you can learn to acknowledge the thought ( because trying to ignore them doesnt work) and then let the thought go, its only a thought, slowly over time that thought will hold little significance to you.

I hope that made sense? :hugs:

Fibutton
03-11-11, 19:31
All I can say is, thank God I found this site.. xxxxxxx

---------- Post added at 19:31 ---------- Previous post was at 19:29 ----------

I can relate to the lack of sleep, on and off now for 15 years. Its like a vicious circle, you cant sleep= feel terrible the next day= feeling anxious = tensing up= struggling through the days chores= more tired= restless in bed= pressure to get a good nights kip= anxiety about falling to sleep= no sleep= next day and repeat.

Can totally relate to this, all I can say is xx

Witchitygrub
04-11-11, 23:56
Yes I know it's panic but it's so hard because one sleepless night ruins the whole next day and it goes on and on. I'm on day 10 off Mirtazapine. Hard to know whether this is me or withdrawl symptoms. (Although I was only on it for 2 months, small dose and I did taper.)

Completely understand the lack of sleep, When i get bad nights my Panic anxiety is quadruple, I think i had a year of bad sleep in 2009 where i just almost went nutty. Need to stop the brain from thinking and sleep gives you that right?, it's the only time i feel a peace or can escape from it. I wake and it's like its waiting for me on the dresser to say good morning. :blush:

mum83
05-11-11, 12:52
Witchity, I've had to go back on my Mirtazapine (7.5 mg) because I could feel myself spiralling out of control. I had that bad night which I posted about, but it turned into a bad next day and I desperately needed some sleep. Mirtazapine helps with that so much. I'm still working on this anxiety thing. Probably came off my medicine too soon. It's very common! You feel a lot better a few weeks in and think you can make it on your own...but I need that escape in sleep, which the medicine helps with.

Witchitygrub
07-11-11, 01:08
Witchity, I've had to go back on my Mirtazapine (7.5 mg) because I could feel myself spiralling out of control. I had that bad night which I posted about, but it turned into a bad next day and I desperately needed some sleep. Mirtazapine helps with that so much. I'm still working on this anxiety thing. Probably came off my medicine too soon. It's very common! You feel a lot better a few weeks in and think you can make it on your own...but I need that escape in sleep, which the medicine helps with.

Hi Mum83, ( feel like i am calling my mum lol.).. It's good idea to go back onto your meds, If they are helping you, heck id even take jelly beans if they helped me daily. I do get a bit errrm Med phobic though?, side effects all that, when i feel them i can get more anxiety, but ultimately i know they are lifesavers for some people. I've never found one really that has helped me yet, so i'ts pretty raw going about life unmedicated, but from what i read it's 1/2 n 1/2 with people as to choosing medication. Therapist i had once told me no, wanted me to do it all raw feel that panic and i got so mad with her with some of the things she made me do. Dizziness is my biggest symptom which i think is caused through Hyperventilation.

Justin1973
07-11-11, 17:36
Hi, I've been suffering with something similar this year. It started after I had my second panic attack in Jul. The weird thing is with me is that I can get off toe sleep no probs but, I can't stay asleep. I can wake at 3 in the morning and not go off again!!! It was like that during the summer and the first three weeks on citalopram. I must admit that this problem was getting better. I'd still wake at about 5:30 - 6 am but, I'd at least sleep the early hours away.

However, since having a panic attack last friday, I've gone back to square one sleep wise :huh:

Last night was a bit better as when I woke a 3 again, I did spend the rest of the time dozing off, waking, dozing etc until about sometime passed 5.

It's not nice at all. Early mornings are bad as I know I have to get out of bed before long and I don't want to.

I hope it gets better for you all. What is your view on tranquillizers? Doctors are very cautious to prescribe these and I can understand why, sadly.