PDA

View Full Version : might be on here a lot during the next week , any tips !?

Littlehelper123
03-11-11, 18:32
mums going away for 10 days as from tomorrow , and i rely on her a lot with my panic attacks.

Any tips on keeping calm and keeping busy?

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PanchoGoz
03-11-11, 18:37
Ahhh my parents have been away a few times now and I've coped each time. The thing is, I'm at college a lot of the time, so I don't notice too much, and I used to have my brother around too. I'm not sure how to advise you because for some reason I seem to feel less anxious when they are gone! Anyway I would normally suggest trying your best to get through a good book in the time they are gone (I'm reading "one flew over the cuckoo's nest"...its great!), or a computer game if thats your bent, and also just tidtying the house and washing up might help.
I think you will enjoy the time more than you think. You can always give your mum a call if you feel bad. Take care :)

Mr.Jitters
03-11-11, 18:39
A few good books, trash TV, chamomile tea, and a heavy text allowance on your phone!

Remember, whatever you rely on to deal with your panic attacks isn't actually helping you, but is helping the anxiety to be maintained. Think of it as a brilliant opportunity. And a nice surprise for mum returning might keep you busy :)

Hope it goes well!

nicola1980
03-11-11, 18:48
I know exactly how u feel, my mums my comfort blanket and im 31, married with a son :blush:, she went away for 2 weeks a month ago when i was at my worst starting new meds and having bad side effects and i dreaded it but i coped and i can feel myself getting worked up cause she's going away again in about 6 weeks!! You'll be fine hun, i cried and sat shaking for a good 2 hours when my mum last went thinking omg what if i need her and shes thousands of miles away but i did it but my god i was so pleased when she got home lol xx

---------- Post added at 18:48 ---------- Previous post was at 18:47 ----------

but my hubby wasn't best impressed with my phone bill when it came with me calling her abroad....whoops :D xx

Mindful
03-11-11, 19:06
mums going away for 10 days as from tomorrow , and i rely on her a lot with my panic attacks.

Any tips on keeping calm and keeping busy?

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!! Aww bless ya.. A good book is always a good way to occupy yourself, really get lost in the story and escape from reality for a while. A movie marathon or your fave tv shows. How about starting your very own excercise routine, dancing in your room to your fave music is always fun and good for your body and soul. :)

brightwhite
05-11-11, 12:39
You could do a youtube video hun! I've just watched your story video and want to commend you on doing that, it is so brave to put yourself out there and share your experience with others to help them.

I'm 27 and I experienced my first panic attacks around the same age as you. I relied on my mum 100% at the time and needed to know she always had her phone with her and that I could contact her in case something was happening to me (having a panic attack or worrying that I was going to have one!) so I can totally understand where you are coming from and how you feel!

I think it will be a positive experience for you, you are aware of you relying on her so you are not in denial and I think that's really important in tackling the problem, if you keep a blog/diary, this will show you how strong you can be and what you can overcome, everytime you do something good or that you would usually have help from your mum with, make a record of it so you can look back at the positives!! :)

......And of course you know you will get support here if you need it! :)

emu12
05-11-11, 22:39
When my mum went away I made a list of things I could do each day. This helped me as if you do things you enjoy then the time will pass quicker. You may even feel better with her gone away for a while as you may realise you're more independent than you thought :)