PDA

View Full Version : Major skin surgery

graham58
04-11-11, 16:28
Hi. I've recently been for a skin biopsy and the results of the samples taken were unfortunately bad and I have basal cell carcinoma (one of the milder skin cancers)

The consultant has decided therefore that I need an operation to remove the affected area (on my lower back), and then a skin graft to cover the area which has been excised.

Has anyone had one of these, and if so, how did it go and is there any advice you can offer? I'm not completely terrified by this but I am a bit anxious (especially since it's going to be done under a general anaesthetic). It's more depressing than anything as I've had to have a skin operation before (though I didn't need either a graft or a general that time).

Thanks in advance,

Graham .

snowgoose
04-11-11, 17:01
Hi Graham :)
my mum had similar op ..........but on her temple for same basal cell cancer .
They took skin graft from her chest wall . It was day surgery and she came home mid afternoon . I dont know of course where they will take the graft for you ........but similar I am sure.
Absolutely do not worry Graham ...........all is quick and done very neatly in my experience .
follow up to get stitches out a week or two later .
the docs who do this surgery are very careful to make things cosmetically good .

you will be fine ....the skin will be discoloured for a while but will fade a bit .
once healed and docs happy ........keep area moisturised with e45 .
take care snow x

graham58
08-11-11, 19:53
Thanks for the reply! Your support and optimism are MUCH appreciated.

Best to you.

Cheers,

Graham x.

Anxious_gal
08-11-11, 20:21
You'll be ok, the surgery isn't too invasive, so the risks will be much smaller :)
Going under is never fun, but you are asleep very fast, so the best thing you can do before hand is just accept it has to be done and try your best to stay calm and trust the medical staff will look after you.

graham58
17-11-11, 17:06
Thanks for your support too! I'm going in tomorrow so fingers crossed it will go OK.

I'll remember the tip about E45 too.

Cheers,

Graham .

snowgoose
17-11-11, 17:25
Graham ...........you will be fine :)

know how horrible it is though so .....the night before etc blooming awful .

my hubby had anaesthetic last week and is saying now blimey .....I was awake one minute .and awake with procedure done the next . No sickness or anything scary honest .
let us know how you are Graham ...........all us NMP people are sitting on your shoulder for support ......bit heavy for you .but we are here :blush:.

And YES get that e45 in once wound healed and doc says ok . marvellous stuff .
snow x

graham58
27-11-11, 20:33
Graham ...........you will be fine :)

know how horrible it is though so .....the night before etc blooming awful .

my hubby had anaesthetic last week and is saying now blimey .....I was awake one minute .and awake with procedure done the next . No sickness or anything scary honest .
let us know how you are Graham ...........all us NMP people are sitting on your shoulder for support ......bit heavy for you .but we are here :blush:.

And YES get that e45 in once wound healed and doc says ok . marvellous stuff .
snow x

Thanks for your kind message of support :) I'm out now and at home, and a bit sore but getting better slowly.

Graham x

graham58
13-03-13, 23:15
Thanks once again everyone who's posted to support me. The skin on my back is healing slowly but steadily, and the site on my leg from which the skin was taken has healed completely now.

Just one last thing for anyone else who has to face this; I like Bio-oil better than E45 to rub on my skin. it has a nice feel and a pleasant lavender smell.

It's not especially cheap, although I was lucky enough to be able to take advantage of a special offer at my local chemist recently (they had some on at half price).

Thanks again,

Graham .