PDA

View Full Version : Asda

kirgray
05-11-11, 13:49
Hi Guys,
UGH!!!!!!!! went to asda last night (its a massive ASDA) and well i think deep down i had worked myself up thinking ugh i dont wana go, i will feel funny blah blah the usual) well it was awful i kept feeling weird and like i would pass out and couldnt focus and would have to run, it was really busy too!! well i didnt i stayed and made it through, husband was makin me laugh in between dizzy spells, i do find this helps me hes a star! but all in all it was very scary, im not sure if my beta blockers are doing anything for me ive been on them since monday suppose i had just better give them time, im an impatient patient lol! anyone else like this in shops? i used to love shopping aswell HUMPH!!:doh: x

Stephanie Plum
05-11-11, 16:07
I can totally identify with this - I hate going into Asda. Can't wait to get out as soon as I walk in - get wobbly, clammy, dizzy etc. Not sure if it's the anxiety or just that Asda's so awful though! Have to go in soon cos my cupboards are almost bare. Might have to wait til tomorrow...

pinkdove
05-11-11, 16:12
Yes i have had the symptoms you have had, i have even left a trolley half full of shopping before, however i am getting better now , and dare i say it quite enjoy it now. you will get there, and well done for finishing your shopping, it will get easier x

Bigmorts
05-11-11, 16:24
I feel like this too. You just have to push yourself to stay and keep telling yourself that you will not faint!

Magic
05-11-11, 16:42
Proberbly you all might think i am--- stupid. Asda :scared15:. I have been there a couple of times, but no more. There seems to be a unusual atmosphere and like a humming noise thats really annoying. I'm sure I am not imagining this
This "noise" is not in any of the supermarkets I have been to.
It makes me want to get out quick

kirgray
05-11-11, 17:00
Thanks guys, i love this site making you aware you are not the only one :-) Pink Dove any tips helpppp :wacko:

---------- Post added at 17:00 ---------- Previous post was at 16:59 ----------

Do i need to keep going in there to try and conque the fear?? x

xJust_Sarahx
05-11-11, 17:12
Hi
i used to love shopping also, but now i try and avoid going to them, i do my shopping online, i hate even going to the corner shop etc. I probablys wouldn't be so bad if there was just a couple of people but i cant describe it, i feel all on edge and all i think about is my breathing and it gets me all worked up and i think im going to suffocate and pass out, and i think all the people in the shop would be laughing at me and staring, seriously.. all kinds of things go through my head.
And i think if you just tell your selft that the beta blockers will take time to work and not just a few days then it might make you feel better. :)

snowgoose
05-11-11, 17:16
well done you :hugs:
you did it and that is a very very big achievement ......busy noisy supermarkets with the bright lights spook us most I think when food shopping .
so pleased you did it with help from your husband :yesyes:

i find if panicky and if starting the dizzy fainting hell ............to always to hold onto the trolley .......correct my breathing .......and leg it to the frozen aisle .
Then once there I feel cooler and examine the fish fingers in great detail etc.
texture ,colours .....distraction . and the cold comforts and balances us .
This sounds flippant and honestly it is not :blush:. I think we need to see funny side sometimes .:)

So next fat lady you see bum up over the freezers ....dont feel alone . It is me .
take care xxx

samc100
05-11-11, 18:22
Supermarkets are the worst as are shopping malls. I think it is the lighting and the shiny flooring. Then add people.. Trolleys... Rushing... Rudeness...

Ah the internet is brill.

Mirabelle
05-11-11, 19:28
I do all my shopping online. I go to the supermarket as an exercise in overcoming anxiety. When I go I don't have a load of stuff to get just a couple of bits. It makes it easier cos I know I can run if I need to. I haven't had to yet..
xx

pinkdove
05-11-11, 19:32
Yes kirgray, keep on going, you will not faint, and just think how often you have felt like this and nothing bad has happened, time yourself if you want too, say 10 minutes, and then a few more next time, you will beat this, but as you can see you are not alone, but well done, you are slowly getting over your fear. good luck x

kirgray
06-11-11, 14:58
thank uuuuuuu :) oh snowgoose you did make me laugh out loud!! but distraction and laughter i think does help! i might see you by the fish fingers next week LOL!!

Thanks Pink Dove i will try and keep doing it as much as it is scary at the time i would prefer to try and keep going as do not want to not be able to do these things through being scared!! xx

Pongowaring
07-11-11, 23:21
I know exactly what you mean re supermarkets. I used to have some of my worst spells in them.

Although my worst ever was in a branch of Homebase.

I'd gone to buy some screws. Found the ones I wanted, felt incredibly anxious - shaky, dizzy and like i was going to faint. Looked at the queues, decided they were too long as I knew I'd be anxious waiting around.

Put the packet down, walked around a bit. Tried again, but not, queues too long. Hung around a bit, couldnt force myself to get into a queue and pay.

Walked out of the shop, got into the car, drank some water, calmed down a little, went back into the shop, picked up the packet, took it to a till with no queue, paid cash (quicker than card), walked out, shaking uncontrollably the whole time. If a CCTV camera had spotted me, they'd have marked me out as a shoplifter, I must have looked so suspicious.

Absolutely pathetic, I thought to myself. I'm a 40 something man who runs his own business and I turn going to Homebase and buying screws into an ordeal akin to running a marathon.

kirgray
08-11-11, 09:06
oh gosh no im exactly the same!! this sounds like a normal shopping trip for me!! and oh yes i always pay cash i can get away quicker then strange hey!

Magic
08-11-11, 12:13
To All on the subject of supermarkets.
I am the same.
Pongo, Yes I have done that. Got water in my bag all time. If I go without my bottle of water cannot cope.
Snowgoose knows what I am like. The tip about the freezers is ex. Of course Pongo no freezers in DIY.
I was looking for some wallpaper the otherday in DIY,
The assitant was very helpfull she cut me pieces of paper off several rolls really quick and I got out of the shop.
How poeple can walk round for hours looking in supermarkets
is beyond me.
Snowgoose --if you read this you are a godsend to this site,and a sense of humour that brings a smile to my face. Bless youXX

yvonne_uk_98
08-11-11, 16:51
To all on subject of supermarkets, I'm the same too, even any clothes shop, I avoid them. however except for doing my food shopping. I go to Asda's every two weeks, when i've had enough, no matter how much shopping I've got, I stop, and go to the check out and get out of there. means I've got to go back another day to get the rest of my shopping. I end up feeling phyiscally sick. my anx goes all over the place.

Veronica H
08-11-11, 17:08
Last year a few of us panicers were comparing notes on supermarkets and Asda came out as one of the worst due to the lighting and that humming! Sensitised nerves seem to go into overload in the supermarket due to noise/lighting/shiny floors/checkout queues. Stick with it guys as the more you do it the easier it gets....I can do Asda most days now.Vx:yesyes:

mandie
09-11-11, 00:38
I hate Asda's, this is where i am at my worst. Morrisons is a close second lol

Its not just supermarkets with me, its any kind of shop

mandie x

brambles
09-11-11, 01:13
I don't like shops either as I feel so vulnerable and conspicuous, especially when it's busy. Walking round I'm in a daze, tripping over my own feet and getting lost looking for those elusive tins of sliced pineapple. I end up spending a long time looking at things on the shelves, picking them up and putting them down again because my mind doesn't register what I'm seeing. Then I think the security cameras are watching me as I'm acting suspicious, so then I get more anxious and sometimes have strange visions of looking at myself through the security camera monitors from above!:wacko:

And I hate queues. I feel as though the people behind are watching me, then I start to fidget and act like a complete oddball. I try to always use the self service machines, but if I can't at the checkout I stutter and mumble when I'm asked if I have my own bags and if I have my clubcard. Then I forget my pin number momentarily, making me more embarrassed and anxious, so I then pretend to look at my phone or rummage in my pocket til it comes back to me!

:roflmao: Shopping's fun!

margrtking
20-11-11, 23:47
Im exactly the same especially putting things back on the shelf and security guards watching cause you look suspicious. Maybe we should go together lol.

sedalia
27-11-11, 19:36
I can relate to everything that's been said on here. I can't even pick anything up off a bottom shelf because if I bend down slightly I feel the blood rushing to my head and feel faint (more than I do already). I've always said, wouldn't it be great if supermarkets held a regular "agoraphobics" evening when we could all go along and it wouldn't matter what we looked like or how we acted....there would be some of us clinging on for dear life to the shelves feeling dizzy, others with their faces stuck in freezer cabinets, others standing in the queue pretending to be on their mobile phones whilst trying to open a carrier bag....but it wouldn't matter. We would all be able to relate to each other and have a good laugh at the sight of us!!

fluff
27-11-11, 20:29
Yeah i can relate to that i actually once ran out and left my trolley in there.And a friend i know gets like that in there it a horrible feeling like you going to pass out not nice.

Dark Horse
27-11-11, 21:50
I detest supermarkets! Asda, Tesco...the whole bloody lot of them. People just tend to be very rude. They block the aisles with their trolleys and seem to think I'm a ghost and that they can walk through me. I put off my shopping until I'm literally down to my last thing and then when I do finally go, I usually can't wait to get the heck out of there! It's a thousand times worse this time of the year as well, what with Christmas being right around the corner.

snowgoose
27-11-11, 21:57
I can relate to everything that's been said on here. I can't even pick anything up off a bottom shelf because if I bend down slightly I feel the blood rushing to my head and feel faint (more than I do already). I've always said, wouldn't it be great if supermarkets held a regular "agoraphobics" evening when we could all go along and it wouldn't matter what we looked like or how we acted....there would be some of us clinging on for dear life to the shelves feeling dizzy, others with their faces stuck in freezer cabinets, others standing in the queue pretending to be on their mobile phones whilst trying to open a carrier bag....but it wouldn't matter. We would all be able to relate to each other and have a good laugh at the sight of us!!

he he !!!

fabulous idea Sedalia :hugs:
Feel like mailing the big supermarkets with your idea.
thank you for the much needed giggle . :)