PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had their thyroid looked at?

Jimgym
05-11-11, 15:31
I've recently learned that my Grandad on my fathers side was hyperthyroid when he was in his 40s - he got iodine treatment and didn't have any trouble after. My other Grandad on my mum's side is being tested this week for suspected hyperthyroid. I'm from a family of worriers and I think this may be the underlying issue.

Looking at the symptoms, this is me:

Increased perspiration and inablity to stand heat.
General anxiety/irritability
heart palpatations
tremors
apathy
weight loss
increased urination
Swelling of the adams apple area (I've always had a large adams apple which protrudes from my neck)

May I point out that I don't suffer from health anxiety - I simply looked into hyperthyroid to see about my grandad and then realised that I could have it too.

Just wondering if anyone has ever had this hunch before and had it looked at? Seems to me that there could me a lot of anxiety sufferers who have a physical rather than a mental health problem - posssibly something which could be easier treated than the latter.

Jim:)

daybyday
05-11-11, 15:41
Best is to have dr. run a full thyroid panel blook test first to see how that is.

miss_moose
05-11-11, 16:54
Hyperthyroid is Over active, I have Under Active thyroid. And you are right about the symptoms because they are like the ones you get with anxiety, it can even cause anxiety.

Just 1 simple blood test can determine whether you have it, but if you suspect you have then ask you doctor for the blood test because it needs to be treated.
My Doctor gave me a blood test and within a few hours she rang me with the results.

Mr.Jitters
05-11-11, 20:10
If you have a familial history of thyroid dysfunction and anxiety issues you should ask for a blood test. I had radio iodine treatment when I was 22, and my thyroid's been fine since. Still anxious, though. It was actually only detected because among the standard tests most GPs do with the onset of anxiety or panic disorder is a thyroid function test. As miss_moose said, I had the blood test at 10:30am and by 5pm I had the results.

margrtking
05-11-11, 20:29
yeah i had some blood tests and my thyroid is just under so i have to redo the test in 6 months. I think it is under active thyroid. Not sure of the symptoms for that though.

Jimgym
06-11-11, 11:35
Thanks for the info guys - I think it's worth me getting it checked out just to say that I can be certain that my anxiety does not come from a physical problem.

As for underthyroid, I think that the symptoms of anxiety are similar to hyperthyroid.

Is it worth asking for any other tests while I am there? Personally, I am a bit surprised that my doctor whacked me straight onto beta blockers without exploring other avenues first.