PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks and pets...

missy_c
05-11-11, 20:49
One thing about fireworks night, is I have to stay in with my dog who is petrified of the noise...and this makes me realise that even animals have fears and anxieties that to us might seem irrational! He shakes, paces, his heart races and he basically looks like me when I have a panic attack!...Is anyone else looking after their dependent furry friends on this, scariest night of the year for them?

baileys
05-11-11, 21:04
One thing about fireworks night, is I have to stay in with my dog who is petrified of the noise...and this makes me realise that even animals have fears and anxieties that to us might seem irrational! He shakes, paces, his heart races and he basically looks like me when I have a panic attack!...Is anyone else looking after their dependent furry friends on this, scariest night of the year for them?

Yea im sitting in looking after my cat, he is so scared, he is hiding under my sons bed at the moment,
I dont like seeing him so scared but there seems nothing i can do for him.
He emergies every now and then, got to take him out for a wee soon.
Its his birthday today too, not a good day for him to be born.

nicola1980
05-11-11, 21:22
yep im here with my cat!! although he's not actually scared of the fireworks.......hes just very cross with me that i won't let him outside!! theres no way im letting him out till the morning tho so looks like im in for a long night with a meaowing cat in my face :roflmao: xx

pollyanna
05-11-11, 22:38
my dog is not bothered by the fireworks in the slightest, but he is terrified of being in alone, and destroys things while im out... strange isnt it..

missy_c
05-11-11, 22:46
Our furry friends can have their little ways too! My dog seems exhausted now - just sleeping and shaking now and again...I feel so bad for him, and wish I could tell him it will be ok, its only fireworks etc...if only I was as good at trying to reassure myself sometimes!!! The sad thing is that fireworks "night" seems to mean "month" around here!!! He was laying on my pillow last night just shaking...I had a terrible night's sleep!

Bruno58
05-11-11, 23:16
Have you tried 'Rescue Remedy' its sold in health shops etc, I was advised to use this when I got my dog, it turned out he wasn't too bothered by fireworks and his reaction was to growl and bark back at loud noises including thunder, outside he didn't react at all, he was a GSD and not the type to be nervous though...I think he felt challenged and would face it!

He's dead now but a pic of him here..:)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67462684@N04/

Vanilla Sky
06-11-11, 09:36
My dog didnt seem too bothered but i think if she was alone in the house she would have been scared , shes a bit braver when im around lol

missy_c
06-11-11, 18:47
Ah, he's lush!!! I have loads of rescue remedy at home - but didn't realise you could give it to pets!!!! I will know for next year now (and tonight...we still have them going off...)

Bruno58
06-11-11, 19:31
Yes its OK to give to dogs, I know some who give their dogs tranquilsers but I'm not so sure about that!, I just dropped some into his food or straight onto the tongue if you can persude your pet! after a while I didn't bother with Bruno, took him out sometimes when they were going off...no reaction from him:shrug:

I'd like another shepherd but I couldn't manage one at the moment.

Another point is not to make a fuss about it, just act normal and try to distract their attention from the noise with a game or something they like doing:)

J.