PDA

View Full Version : My story - I'm not over it, but I'm getting there.

Jbgood
26-05-06, 15:34
Firstly I'd like to say what a great and helpul site this is, it's strange to read the posts because i can relate to nearly all of the people here. Health anxiety is the hardest thing i have had to deal with in my life and I sympathise with each and every one of you who is going through this.

My own health anxiety started when I was 18 for no real reason. I was in a great relationship with my girlfriend and in a fairly good job for my age. I had little to worry about. One day i found a lump on my neck which was a simple swollen lymph node. At the time i had no idea what the lump was and i started to dream up all sorts of possible causes, such as cancer etc. I went to the doctors and he told me that my glands were slightly swollen and sent me on my way. that should have been the end of it, but for some reason my fears about this lump did not end and i started examining my neck for other lumps. Of course i found several other similar lumps because There are many lymph nodes in the neck. I even used to really dig my fingers into my neck to check for lumps, and of course i found quite a few of them. That was it for me, i knew i had something and i began to get more and more anxious.

I really tested the patience of my doctor, i was at his office at least once a week for a few months and after several blood tests and physical exams which the doctor insisted were non needed, but did them anyway to shut me up, I stopped panicing for about a week.

After a week i started to get anxious again because out of nowhere I realised that my swollen glads could be due to HIV infection. Thats where the anxiety got really bad. I couldnt help thinking "what if I have HIV? "What if i have infected my girlfriend?" These thoughts sent the fear of god into me. I was more worried about my girlfriend than about myself, i was genuinely worried that i had ruined her life. I went back to my doctors and he said that I was VERY unlikely to have HIV given my sexual history. He did not test me, and i did not go and get tested. this was my biggest mistake because rather than getting my biggest fear behind me, i just let let it eat at me for several years until eventually i did pluck up the courage to get tested. Negative of course, but it was too late, my health anxiety was now deep seated and my brain just moved on to the next possible thing that could be wrong with me.

By now I had stmptoms of the anxiety itself.. Rapid heart beat, heart palputations, irregular breathing, lack of concentration etc.

(I'll just quickly add here that anyone with heart flutters or palputations should be very aware that they ARE caused by the anxiety, and very rarely anything else)

With these symptoms i persuaded myself that i had a heart defect. This went on for ages, but this time i did not go to the doctors, I was too scared. One day i was having a meal with a friend and i started to get palputations. i got scared and and faked chest pains and asked someone to call a ambulance (very embarrassed by this now). The ambulance took me to hospital where they performed an ECG. Completely normal results of course.

Since developing health anxiety I have had fears of many conditions which at one time or another i have convinced myself I have...

HIV
Brain cancer
Epilepsy (god knows why i thought that)
Testicular cancer
Heart condition
Syphillis
MS

I still get axiety now, in fact i am going through the worst bout of anxiety i've had since I 18 right now. Its hard, it's really hard, but i have had fear so many times and never had anything wrong with me, a small peice of the back of my mind knows that i am just going through yet another bout of health anxiety.

If the internet had been around when i was 18 i think i would have been in serious trouble. Although forums like this are great for people with this condition, the lists of symptoms on many health websites are hard for us to resist. I have spent too many hours reading about the symptoms of various conditions and deseases on the internet, and it only serves to make anxiety a great deal worse. I

Miss Pink
26-05-06, 16:02
hi Jbgood,

Great post - thankyou:)[:X]:). I have a very similar story myself - going to A & E (then feeling very embarrassed), constantly worried about one particular illness (HIV, Brain Tumour etc) - then moving onto another.

I agree with you completely about stopping looking for information on the Internet about symptoms - I have felt much better over the past few months since I've resisted. I too have problems planning ahead - the thought of planning to go somewhere instantly fills me dread and the awful "what if's" about feeling ill, won't be able to stand it etc

Thanks for sharing your story - its a godsend sometimes to read that someone else has shared the same experiences as you and no harm has ever come to them. I hope that you feel better soon, sorry to hear you're going through a rough patch.

I hope you get lots of support on the site and look forward to hearing from you in the future. Let us know how you're getting on

Take Care

‹(•¿•)› Rachael xx ‹(•¿•)›

hayles
26-05-06, 16:03
Great thread mate....very helpful and reassuring

Hay x

whatisitnow
26-05-06, 16:20
Really liked reading that post, can relate to that very well.
Im actually terrified of going to the doctors about anything these days. Doctors hospitals dentists opticians etc all scare me to bits to be honest, and everytime i get over a health anxiety and come out the other side, i tell myself i have no ailments at the moment so if something crops up it will be very new and curable etc etc! But everytime something crops up i wonder if ive had it for ages and didnt notice! Its madness! But its me & its exausting. But like you say, it does get better each time & we are still here to tell the tales so far :)

jackie
26-05-06, 16:33
what a lovely and helpful post

thanks so much

just wish though that i could be sure this health anxiety isnt gonna kill me itself, so worried now because i have a strange sensation in my jaw of all places and im convinced its angina brought on my the worry of this all

thanks again

jackie

whatisitnow
26-05-06, 16:42
Im so glad i joined here today because there are so many symptoms that people have mentioned that ive had in the last 12 years. Atleast 90% i would say! The jaw pain is something i had about 2 months ago, and me being me over analized & came up with alsorts of theories but thankfully it only lasted a couple of days which is rare for me, i usually have to put up with symptoms for weeks if not months before they go (due to my brain working on the 'if you have had it for months & its not got worse it cant be serious!) lol But i had had pain down the arm on the same side of the jaw pain before that started so was convinced it was connected to a heart problem.
Im sure its nothing to do with angina jackie. This health anxiety sure does suck ey!

Derek
12-01-09, 15:28
Great post JB.

I only joined here today and find it very helpful already. The health anxiety is always very common because i guess we all start being anxious about being unwell or hurt becuase of something, which then speard our fears to health & dying and those close to us, its always a vicious circle that is extremely hard to break.

My anxiety goes in phases, at the moment quite low as i have other health issues, genuine ones, i have a gastric problem probably bought on by stress, probably a ulcer, also i have to have an operation on my femur that does sit right in my hip causing lots of pain.

And i am very anxious about having a operation as i never have!!

Still, i keep telling myself they know what they are doing and i am in good hands, what you mention JB about thinking 'cancer' etc is so true, i try not to think about it now, what will be and all that, its highly unlikely, but i am concenrating on trying not to worry or panic as that can have adverse effects in the long run i'm sure.

Good luck to all.

DM

Derek
12-01-09, 15:30
just a quicky - one thing i have noticed big time lately especially for these jaw symptoms - sit there right now

and

drop your shoulders towards your chair

the stress and the tension from that area i find decreases, gets rid of that tension by relaxing your shoulder area.

Works for me.

Good luck.

Quintessence
12-01-09, 16:53
Great post, thank you. My own story is very similar, although I remember having health anxiety as a child - my parents were going to take me on a trip to London when I was ten, and I remember lying in bed terrified that I would have a heart attack and not survive to go on the trip. Most terrified that by doing this I would disappoint them or let them down.

It's gone in swings and roundabouts over the years, mostly cancer fear (I've had it everywhere). Used to be MS and ALS too, but that's not been a concern for years, though thinking about it now will probably revive it! Heart and vascular problems mostly nowadays. And yes, I had my HIV terror too.

It's worse now than it's ever been, probably, but I don't give up hope that I'll succeed in getting away from the fear. Oh, that reminded me of Marcus Aurelius again (I've been quoting him today)... in 180 AD he wrote

"Today I escaped from anxiety. Or, no, I discarded it, because it was within me, in my own perceptions - not outside."