PDA

View Full Version : Do you think this is true?

jollywalrus
20-04-04, 10:54
Mornin' all,
I was watching Lorraine this morning (yes, I was supposed to be doing something else!) and she was doing an interesting slot on depression. A lady was speaking who had overcome depression and one of her tips was to cry as much as you can because she believed depression is about pent up emotion. I must say from my own experience at the moment I could cry all day, but I'm not sure if it's pent up emotion from some hidden problem, or just misery!
This one has me thinking. I was once told panic attacks meant all was not well at home and things seemed ok to me. What am I missing here?
Christine xx

Meg
20-04-04, 13:27
I do believe that strong emotion will 'come out' one way or another. Panic, anger, fear, withdrawing are all possibilities.

I didn't cry over Dads death and subsequently several other deaths that happened in quick sucession and panic soon followed. Once I learnt to cry I found a good howl was one way to avert anxiety escalating.

I do agree with you though that many depression sufferers can cry for England long after all other emotion is exhausted. Possibly self pity and misery as well as true distress.

Usually when tears are becoming your hobby, it's time to seek additional help as that can be just a bad viscious circle as the fear cycle.

As with most things emotional Christine - what may be true for one person may not be the origin for everyone. You may not be missing anything .

Meg

"Come to the edge."
"We can't. We're afraid."
"Come to the edge."
"We can't. We will fall!"
"Come to the edge."
And they came.
And he pushed them.
And they flew.

- Guillaume Apollinaire

stimpy
24-04-04, 23:12
I think sometimes a good blart does us the world of good.
I've only got to put on Bing Crosby's "you are my sunshine" and "A Nightingale Sang" and I am wailing like a good 'un.

Panic attacks aren't always a sign there is something wrong at home.
Sometimes they can appear for no concious reason.
Something in our brain tells us there is something very wrong and so we react to it. Even if there is nothing wrong at all.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

brill
26-04-04, 14:51
Latley I have found that crying helps for the short term but it hasent cured my depression.

And to say that panic attacks is because something is wrong at home goes against my life story,The only place that is wright in my life is my home life.I panic because I fear people outside the house and it is a direct result from a work related problem.Of course theres a lot more to my panic then that but that is one of the main reasons.

BRILL.

Never give up
Never give in
Life,s to short
Make it last :)
Brill

uryjm
28-04-04, 22:48
The number of "facts" about fear is terrifying! You just have to visit a bookshop to find out how many theories there are, from feeling the fear and doing it anyway to breaking the bonds and finding a way out of your prison. Although it can take a lot of time and effort trying to reach or find an analysis that makes sense to you, I feel the journey is worth it. You will definately learn a lot about yourself and this can help you learn to accept the situation. After all, this may be a genetic disorder that gives you a predisposition to suffer from anxiety and depression - I think it does run in families, but then that's a whole other bookshop......

Jim

benoo5
29-04-04, 00:02
hi christine,i found a very nice site,that deals with depression,and ive added it to the links page...please have a look,who knows,it might well help you...i really hope so.

best wishes.....bryan.

jollywalrus
29-04-04, 11:27
Thanks Bryan, what an interesting little site. It is very true, the only reason I panic when I am outside and don't panic when I am indoors is because I think differently. I never sit and watch telly and feel rooted to the spot!! It takes a lot of hard work to retrain your thoughts though. And the problemn with depression is it is so difficult to break through the treacle that seems to stop you from being able to do anything, however small.
I have been trying really hard lately to pull myself out of it and to think more positively. It is only a matter of time before the doctor starts making noises about coming off the anti depressants!
Thanks again,
Christine

Meg
29-04-04, 12:21
Just make sure you come off really slowly. Often they want you off within a prescription- saves another one .

Don't allow yourself to be rushed.

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone