PDA

View Full Version : Dizziness with Propanolol and Diazepam

mallan82450
08-11-11, 14:09
Hi All,

29yr old primary school teacher here off sick with anxiety and panic attacks - Dr. gave me propanolol (40mg) and referral for CBT but propanolol wasn't really working great. Went back yesterday and he has given 2mg Diazepam 3 times a day for 9 days.

Problem - Really dizzy today which is often what triggers my panic attacks! Has anyone else had this problem, should I keep taking them? I was going to stop them all and just see if I could cope as I don't want to be off work! I thought diazepam was supposed to make you feel good?

Any positive advice would be really helpful

Thanks in advance,

Marc.

Mr.Jitters
08-11-11, 20:50
Hey Marc,

If you're having problems, you really need to see your doctor again or speak to NHS direct about your concerns. Diazepam and propranolol can both sometimes cause dizziness, and your doctor should be able to determine whether this is the case by checking your blood pressure and heart rate / sp02.

However, sometimes it's simply the underlying anxiety, and symptoms work their way out because you're getting some relief. This is often the case with me when taking beta-blockers and/or diazepam.

Hope you feel better soon!

Kam :)

mallan82450
08-11-11, 23:14
Thanks mate! Not had a diazepam since this morning and feeling really good . . . We shall see :-)

M.

chalk
03-01-12, 03:00
I too am a Teacher (48 year old Secondary) and am off sick with Panic Attacks, Anxiety and a damaged shoulder after an incident at work. I have tried Propanolol and had problems with it. It lowered my blood pressure and caused the dizziness, it also gave me pain in my calf muscles. From a personal viewpoint, try not to take the Diazepam regularly for more than a few weeks, I found I was taking more and more to get the same effect. Its not worthwhile exchanging one problem for another. The Diazepam do help reduce the severity of the Panic Attacks and Anxiety in the short term. You are not the only teacher on here so do not feel alone, I have only been a member since December and have come across a few so far. I am hoping the CBT will work for me, the research generally indicates CBT is the best long term treatment. Good luck.