PDA

View Full Version : Anxious about being Anxious!!

Sarah Louise
08-11-11, 15:06
Afternoon everyone,

Okay so about a year ago i was diagnosed with Health and Anxiety and with CBT and Citalopram i have managed to combat the whole being worried about my health which i am very pleased about.

My question i am now left with getting anxious about being anxious??
Is this normal and how do i combat it? Will it be harder to get over than worrying about my health?

I am still on Citalopram 20mg i have just upped them to 30mg because the anxiety has started up and i find it very hard to cope with it gets me down i am unmotivated and depressed.

Anyone else experiencing this or has over come this or has tips etc.

pinkdove
08-11-11, 15:24
Hi sarah, yes i still feel this, i think when we have been ill for so long, and it has been really bad, you get scared of it coming back, so although i am a lot better, i still find myself getting anxious about anxiety, and the fear of it returning, but i find distraction helps, we will get there, good luck x

theharvestmouse
08-11-11, 15:26
this just about sums up my problem, most of the time I'm anxious about being anxious. Just started CItalopram and waiting for CBT.

Sorry but I don't know how the best way to deal with it, I was doing ok for a while but last week had a major setback.

Sarah Louise
08-11-11, 15:37
Thank you for replying i had CBT for health anxiety which is what helped me get where i am today but i can not shake of these feelings of being scared of the syptoms and feelings that come with it.

I wish you both well with your recovery i didnt think i would be alone in this and apprecaite your comments xx

nicola1980
08-11-11, 16:01
Im always anxious about feeling anxious! Euen on a good day i cant relax properly as forever thinking how im feeling! Im also on cit 20mg this is my 8th week on it x x

Sarah Louise
08-11-11, 16:05
For me anxiety comes and goes and i only start to stop and check if i am anxious if i am having a particular bad episode like now. Stopping to check if we feel anxious is clearly bringing it to the forefront but i am not sure how to stop checking!!!

And when its not thier i think dont get too excited it will be back soon and dont tell anyone your feeling better because it might come back! Is that crazy??

nicola1980
08-11-11, 16:21
Lol thats exactly what i think! X x

blondinou
08-11-11, 19:36
Yep absolutely - I haven't had a panic attack for 2 and a half weeks but I daren't tell anyone cos I bet I'll have one as soon as I do!! I still have lots of general anxiety every day, in fact it seems like the fewer panics I have, the more general prolonged anxiety I have instead!!

Like you, I have managed to stop worrying about specific health issues e.g. my heart (may main panic before), but then my anxiety just moves onto something else such as my breathing. Or if I'm not worried about health things I'm worried about anxiety itself and whether I'll ever have a day without it.

Pants isn't it?! Seems like there's a bank of anxiety 'energy' that keeps refilling and if you don't spend it worrying in one way it comes out in another way!