PDA

View Full Version : How long for smear test results?

kirstynic
09-11-11, 17:42
How long do smear test results take to come back?

I had a private one Thursday and I know it hasn't been a week but going crazy waiting

nomorepanic
09-11-11, 18:05
The NHS ones take about 2 weeks on average. I would have thought private would just be a few days as that is what you pay for.

swgrl09
09-11-11, 19:00
I don't know about in the UK, but I had mine done on a Friday and heard by the Friday following, so a week. If they mail it to you, keep in mind the time the mail takes too.

kirstynic
09-11-11, 19:01
Apparently it takes 2 weeks, had to pay for it as doctors refused to do it

Janeeey
09-11-11, 19:43
I went private a couple of years back and was beside myself with the wait - also felt private should be instant - but is actually 2 weeks! However I called them and got it bit quicker as obv letter takes couple of days - may be worth a try unless you have done so already.

AlexandriaUK
09-11-11, 20:11
NOnews is good news, why wouldnt gp do it for you, I suppose age? I would say that if they had found something it would have been red flagged and you would have had some news by now but what they have to do is pass to right department then get some one to type it up, it all takes time and they are not worried LOL

kirstynic
09-11-11, 20:18
I am 25 but had one when I was 23 so not due till next year and even tho I have some symptoms that were worrying the doctor refused to do it as its not due till next year, I am convinced it is going to be not normal and am so worried.

I have spoke to the hospital I had it at and they are going to call be I think when it is back

---------- Post added at 20:17 ---------- Previous post was at 20:16 ----------

So I know they haven't had it back yet as would have had a call

---------- Post added at 20:18 ---------- Previous post was at 20:17 ----------

Everytime the phone rang today I came over all fearful like my hear jumped out of my chest just scared

lauralooboo
09-11-11, 20:33
Hi, i have had quite a few and was always told they would call if there was any concerns or send a letter asap...would have thought being private, you would have heard something by now if there was anything to worry about..i have had letters from the NHS within a week when the test has been clear...so id say you have nothing to worry about :)

kirstynic
10-11-11, 04:36
I really feel I do though I am awake and worrying feeling sick and scared again.I know the place I had it done has not received it yet so there is still a big chance I have something to worry about

katielou80
10-11-11, 06:28
i was convinced i had cervical cancer 3 years ago, aching back 24/7 irregular periods. pelvic pain, constantly for 6 months, being 8 years overdue my smear i felt sure it was the big c !!!!! eventually i plucked up the courage to go for one, and within i got the results and it was all clear! phewwwwy. suddenly ALL the symptoms disapeared. anyway they are only looking for abnormal cells, and if the worst came to the worst they would just lazer them out, my dr said that cervical cancer takes years and years to develop into cancer. loads of my mates have had the lazor and biopsy, and they are all fine. easier said than done, but quit the worrying. your just fine. xxx

kirstynic
10-11-11, 06:46
Thankyou for your reply I hope your right, I just convinced myself that it will be to advanced to do anything about and I look at my little girl and fill up with tears as don't want to leave her I love her and my family so much. I feel sick with worry and read about girls younger then me who are terminal with cc so it happens and it's so scary.How long did your results take I am glad they were good xx

PinkRoxy
10-11-11, 07:53
Kirtsynic hasnt your results come back yet?
I actually thought about you today wondering if you found out your results.
Honey I would give them a ring and see if it has come through.
Remember if they dont get back to you usually its a good thing because there is no abnormality to your smear.

Good luck and hope everything is fine :)

kirstynic
10-11-11, 08:53
No not come back yet it was a week today that I had them done so know not that long but just not doing great with anxiety at the moment.

They know how worried are about them and the gynocoligist is meant to be phoning me I know he is back at his desk today so mite phone but still mite not have results as said it could take 2 weeks just goin mad I really think there is going to be something wrong and my anxieties will go through the roof having enough trouble eating and sleeping as it is now late in my period and just feel sick with anxiety

PinkRoxy
10-11-11, 09:07
No not come back yet it was a week today that I had them done so know not that long but just not doing great with anxiety at the moment.

They know how worried are about them and the gynocoligist is meant to be phoning me I know he is back at his desk today so mite phone but still mite not have results as said it could take 2 weeks just goin mad I really think there is going to be something wrong and my anxieties will go through the roof having enough trouble eating and sleeping as it is now late in my period and just feel sick with anxiety

Honey (((hug)))

Try not to worry too much I understand the anxiety and it must be awful. I wish I could do or say something to make it all go away. But unfortunately I cant do that.

I hope you do get the results soon enough, maybe even ring your gyncologist and explain how you are feeling and they may even give you some comfort and reassurance.

I am sorry you are going through this.

Hope you get the results back soon.

katielou80
10-11-11, 13:28
mine took a week and a half. i have severe health anxiety, and at the moment am sure i have heart faliure!!!!!!!! ive been to the drs 8 times about these silly skipped beats this year! i must get a grip!........... its funny that when you really think you have something you seem to develop all the symptoms! xxxx

PinkRoxy
11-11-11, 05:15
mine took a week and a half. i have severe health anxiety, and at the moment am sure i have heart faliure!!!!!!!! ive been to the drs 8 times about these silly skipped beats this year! i must get a grip!........... its funny that when you really think you have something you seem to develop all the symptoms! xxxx

I get that. It feels like my heart flutters and it feels so weird.

kirstynic
11-11-11, 08:53
Well I have come on my period now and it is a bad one really heavy, they have always been heavy but now wondering if they have got heavier another symptom off cc, hope I get the results soon feeling rough at the moment and even worse because of anxiety and being on period. Does anyone else get heavy period and bad period pains as well as like aching in the vagina area?

PinkRoxy
11-11-11, 09:04
Kirstynic I think its a good thing that you have got your period as I think that if you didnt get it it could be a bad thing because that could be a sign of cancer.

My periods arent super heavy but they are heavy enough at times but yes the period pain is unbearable. I have the gift of being on the pill so I can skip it whenever I like. In fact I'm at the end of my pill right now but am tempted to start the next one and skip it all together, its so awful its like having the flu every month I cant do anything or enjoy anything with my period so I find it a real pain in the butt to have it.

I reckon you should relax take some ponstan and some pain relief and wrap yourself up in a blanket with some hot water bottles.

I bet you will find when you get your test results back you will find it clear and then you will be so relieved that you will forget that you even had the pain to begin with lol, I know I'm like that a bit.

kirstynic
11-11-11, 12:44
Results negative :) so happy

katielou80
11-11-11, 13:02
yay xxxxx

rosi
11-11-11, 16:34
Excellent. I knew it would be ok. :hugs:

nomorepanic
11-11-11, 17:16
Great news. Hopefully you can move on from this now and stop worrying about cancer

pollyanna
11-11-11, 19:02
hi kirstynic, i got my results today as well , and mine are fine too phewwww, was so worried, i have health anxiety and my life has stood still for 2 weeks...
i think both of us will be sleeping better tonight x :)

kirstynic
11-11-11, 20:23
Yes pollyanna my life has been on hold it has been awful so glad yours were good xx

PinkRoxy
12-11-11, 03:39
Results negative :) so happy

yay I'm actually really pleased for you even though I dont know you but I was worried about you.

I bet you feel so relieved now and I probably recommend trying something natural to help with the pain you get or maybe even see if you can get some of that stuff removed you said you had because it could possibly be just harmless endo tissues thats causing you all your grief.

Anyway I am stoked that you dont have cervical cancer (((hug)))

kirstynic
12-11-11, 09:53
Thankyou :) xxx