PDA

View Full Version : Need general advice on something please!

janine85
09-11-11, 22:06
Hi all,

I know this will probably get moved to the meds forum but I wanted to post here because of the wider audience...

I have a problem I'm really worried about...WEIGHT GAIN & STRETCH MARKS!

Since taking a new med ( mirtazipine - 4 months now) I've gained weight like there's no tomorrow....roughly 2 to 2.5 stones......

Although the actual weight gain itself is annoying & unpleasant it's more the stretch marks that are bothering me....

Theres some on my hips (feint ones), On the outside of my thighs (feint-ish)

BUT on my inner thighs I have 3 meaty massive dark purple ones, almost look like varicose veins, they do not hurt, or hurt to touch.

Am I right in thinking that the quick weight gain is to blame?
I eat ok, although I don't get as much exercise as I usually get as I'm not working at the mo.

How do you get rid!!!! I don't want to change meds as I don't want toget used to a new one all over again.

Any help & I'll literally love you forever <3 x

Bill
10-11-11, 03:01
Any help & I'll literally love you forever

Thought I'd try to help because I'd be quite happy being loved forever!:)...but you'll probably say I've been of no help anyway!:weep: Worth a go though!:winks:

Well, what I've found out you probably won't like. Evidently one of this meds functions is as an "appetite stimulant" which would account for why you've put on weight. I can understand you being reluctant about changing the med but I wonder if it would be at least worth talking to your doctor about it if you keep gaining weight.

Often weight gain is listed in the side-effects but in this case it appears to be one the intentions of the meds according to what I read about it.

If the doctor could suggest an alternative that doesn't have this action, it may be the best solution because it's possible your appetite will stay very high on these meds.

By the way, you'd be amazed how many anxiety meds list "anxiety symptoms and panic attacks" as side-effects. It doesn't mean they'll occur but often the sufferer wouldn't even know if they did because they'd assume it's just their anxiety causing the symptoms. You can imagine the consequences!:hugs:

Anyway, the important question is...have I helped enough to win the eternal love of a princess?!:unsure::):flowers: