PDA

View Full Version : Why give an anti-depressant for anxiety?

xBettyBoopx
10-11-11, 17:17
I had to go see the doc today, they wouldn't give me a repeat prescription of diazapam. Not been to docs for 18 months as the surgery doesn't seem to be able to cope with anything and receptionists seem manic and docs keep leaving!!

Never seen this doc before in my life but he's told me he wants me to come off diazapam and lorazepam (that I take at night) - not without tapering but he's given me sertraline as well now! I look on the leaflet and it says it is for depression, OCD and PTSD! Um doesn't say it's for anxeity, in fact it says it can cause anxiety symptoms! I mean WTF is this guy trying to do to me?

Don't think I'll take them, think I'll just come off diaz slowly without putting something like that in it's place! Why the hell would a qualified doctor give you and anti depressant for anxiety?

I am all for getting better obvioulsy but I fail to see how giving someone with anxiety that kind of medication, is going to help. Like he may as well have given me meds for diabetes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I see quite a few people here are on them. Could you tell me if you have anxiety solely or what your situation is?

My life just keeps getting better and better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
Els

Danath
10-11-11, 17:24
they do use them to treat anxiety but they can sometimes make you feel worse before feeling better, sertraline is used for treating anxiety amongst other things, it just takes a while to work like most antidepressants.

The reason they won't give a repeat for diazepam and lorazepam is because they are both benzodiazepines, a class of drugs which is highly addictive and continuous use causes tolerance, i.e. the more you keep taking them, the higher a dosage you will need in future to get the same effect, and from what I've heard from others, they are hell to get off once you are addicted, my doctor won't even prescribe them short term, which is a pain as I could do with some jsut to get me throguh the first few weeks starting clomipramine...

hope this helps

Dan

haz
10-11-11, 17:59
Sertraline and many other anti-depressants are widely used for anxiety. If you read the patient information leaflet you will see that this drug is licenced for panic/anxiety disorder. Anxiety and Depression go "hand in hand". Most people don't suffer from one without suffering from the other, however because one is more prevalent over the other, some people feel that they only suffer from anxiety or depression.

I am on 50mg sertraline and have been diagnosed with Panic Disorder with agoraphobia, GAD, and severe recurrent depression. For me personally, my anxiety caused my depression, or at least that's how I see it.

As another person said, Sertraline, like all SSRI's can cause increased anxiety in the beginning, but this will go away. Use your diazepam to help with any initial increased anxiety.

Hope these work for you.

Good Luck. x

mikewales
10-11-11, 18:08
Most drugs given for anxiety are also for depression, as they work on both. Sometimes the dose is higher if treating depression, but the doctor has got it right, so don't be too concerned.

suzy-sue
10-11-11, 18:11
Doses are usually higher for Anxiety Mike .:winks:Sue x

mikewales
10-11-11, 18:22
Depends on the specific med I think, not sure for sertraline as havent had that

petram
10-11-11, 18:58
this med gave me the anxiety n ocd that i havent had in years i simply felt sluggish!!! before starting them !!! been off now 4 weeks feel better than i was on them however not great either just want me totally back!! :(

no_name
12-11-11, 12:32
It really depends on the person, but the ADs help most of the people cope with the anxiety too. I myself am suffering from health anxiety combined with slight depression for more than 8 years now. I've always been prescibed AD in such moments ant it always helps me definitely! So don't worry, just listen to what your Dr. tells you.
EDIT: i've been taking Sertraline for 3 months now, i feel great and no anxiety at all!

Em84
20-11-11, 13:16
I'm having a proper drama on Sertraline at the moment. I was diagnosed with anxiety a year ago and was out on Citalopram I only took it for two days and it felt bloody horrible like I was on drugs...my symptoms went sky high and having to look after my little boy was impossible as I couldn't concentrate.

I got pregnant so came off the medications completely , I actually felt pretty good still with some symptoms though.

Anyways so I went to the doctor 3 weeks ago as I was starting to get the symptoms again and she put me on Sertraline 50mg.
The first week was great, I felt really good but now not so. After the first week my symptoms crept in again. SO I HALVED THE PILL TO 25mg. I was taking the dose in the mornings....,still horrid with symptoms.
I saw my doctor a couple of days ago and he suggested tom take it at night and wanted me to rise my dose again....

Last night I did have a few beers which have not seemed to be a problem before, I took the full tab before bed.
I woke at 3am to feed my baby girl...I put her to bed, then BAM, out if nowhere I had a full blown panic attack....GREAT!

I'm still shaking now and feel pretty sick, chest pains coming and going...general out of body sensation with a mad type headache.

I just went to Boots and spoke to the pharmacist who has told me to cut down the caffiene and alchohol and to half the pill again and to take them in the morning. She said the mix and the lack of sleep could have done this,

She also stated you will get worse before better......Sertraline is known for it...she was helpful bless her, she gave me a paper bag....so gonna try that?

I'm pretty close to giving up on this soon...I feel WORSE now than when I did with no medication, with two kids to look after I don't think I can take weeks more of this, that was the first proper panic attack I have had and I'm still in a state....

Just hope the Sertraline will get out of my system ASAP.......

Hope that helps, that's my opinion

Gumboots
22-11-11, 22:58
Hi, I am also on setraline, 100mg a day, it is best to take with food, still have really shakey days, had a panic day yesterday, try doing the deep breathing exercises. I am still perservering with the drug and am also starting CBT, got a gap for 2 weeks, so need to talk or type to someone else. My anxiety level is quite high and self esteem low, but I do not score as depressed. It does help, but some days are better than others. Keep your chin up and keep going, also it might be worth trying Paul McKenna control your stress cd, it comes with a book. The cd helps you to calm down, but cannot be used while driving.