PDA

View Full Version : Nothing to worry about????

hmmm
28-05-06, 01:18
All over this site - particularly in this forum there's posts saying basically that whatever the symptoms - don't worry there's nothing really wrong it's "just anxiety"...

Anxiety and panic can be linked to thyroid problems - and there's a bunch of very real things from immune diseases, to growths/lumps and even rarely cancers that can cause the thyroid to be screwed up. Panic/Anxiety can be a symptom of a physical medical problem. That's just one example I'm aware of. I find it difficult to believe panic/anxiety is just mental ... there must be physical causes.

Along the lines there's links between screwed up thyroids and heart problems (type thyroid and heard into Google).... I like many people who write on this forum who have experienced palpatations find it impossible to accept they're not a really serious symptom/warning sign of something, perhaps the link between thyroid and heart problems goes via panic/anxiety??

Jbgood
28-05-06, 03:25
I know what you mean, but let me assure you, anxiety can make you ill without any underlying health problems. I have suffered with health anxiety for many years and have been tested for heart desease, Thyroid problems and a number of other things.

When you suffer anxiety, your body produces chemicals in a different way to someone who does not suffer from anxiety. This process is called the fight or flight process.

When the body feels it is in danger, it produces chemicals that prepare your body for the worst. these chemicals are the same chemicals that are resposible for the horrid gut wrenching feelings we get when we are anxious. People who suffer from health anxiety start off anxious, and quickly fall into depression because the axiety does not subside. The morbid feelings we have often last for weeks, even months, causing the deression to deepen and the anxiety to continue.

During this time our body makes changes to cope with theses feelings. Some neurotransmitters in the brain stop functioning correctly causing us to stay in a depressed state, and other chemicals are increased as part of the fight or flight response. Some other processes change too. It is these prcesses that cause the symptoms.

Your scepticism that axiety alone cannot creat these symptoms is very typical of someone who suffers health anxiety. Our natuaral response is to think of the worst case senario.

Yes, of course some physical illnesses can cause anxiety, but if you are suffering from health anxiety in general, the anxiety is the most likely cause for your symptoms. Espessially if you have been tested for heart or thyroid problems.

health anxiety is a mental health Illness which is very real. I can assure you that you do not have to have any real underlying problems to suffer this. I persanally thing that health anxiety is closely realted to post traumatic syndrome, where by it is a by product of a serious trauma experienced earlier in life. Often when something bad happens to you, the effects will manifest themself in different types of anxiety.

I have also found through study, that often this type of anxiety can run in families.

As time goes on and the world produces more and more dangers in ever day life, we all suffer stress from time to time. In people with health anxiety, or any other type of anxiety, these stresses can be triggers.

Heart palpitations are very normal for someone with anxiety, of course they can be caused by physical conditions, but you have to think to yourself, If every one on here did no deep down believe that what they are actually going through is just anxiety, they would be unlikely to be here in the first place.

You say "Type Thyroid and heart into google". I personnally would suggest that people do not do this as it will only lead to increased anxiety. I can stress enough how destrying to your condition, looking up symptoms on the internet really is.

I really do hope that you find a way to deal with your own health anxiety. I know what its like for you and i hope you get to feel better soon.

giddy
28-05-06, 07:59
Hi - I can relate to what you are saying, when my anxiety started I convinced myself I had CFS, it was the only explanation for what I was feeling. However through having tests done and talking to a homeopathist I came to realise it was just anxiety and no underlying medical problem. Of course medical problems can be the cause of anxiety/panic, but these are all thoroughly checked by your GP - in some cases several times over!!! If you haven't seen your GP, go and get some reassurance - and stop googling!!!
Love Helen

marie ross
28-05-06, 12:13
Hi

I can undersand also, a lot of people with anxiety have been to the doctors numerous times and had tests such as ECG's, blood tests, etc. If someone is suffering palpitation, ectopic beats then, yes go the the doctors and get it checked out to see if there are any other reasons for it other than anxiety.
But a lot of times it is just anxiety causing all the symtoms, unfortunatley.

Take care.

nell1965
28-05-06, 22:00
I found it hard to comprehend it too at first but unfortunately until you accept that it is anxiety and start concentrating your energy on beating it rather than trying to find a physical cause for it you will continue to suffer from these symptoms, i would say that accepting is definately the first step to peace.
Nell

I just want my life back
nell
x

TangledUpInBlue
28-05-06, 23:21
I have an under-active thyroid gland, but you just find it difficult to get going in the morning.

Which if you suffer from anxiety,(which leads you to feeling depressed) leaves you feeling tired and lacking motivation.

But I take a drug called Thyroxine that replaces the deficiency which I have.

I only see it as somthing very minor though, and I really don't think it has much baring on my anxiety at all.

I'm not sure how much my comment will help, but I just thought I would mention this as it hopefully might.

"When I smile, tell me some bad news,
Before I laugh and act like a fool".

eeyorelover
29-05-06, 04:39
I do understand where you are coming from. It's hard when you feel like s@@t not to think about all the things that could be wrong and say to yourself that there has to be something physically wrong. But when I say it's just anxiety I can say it because I have had all the tests and they have all come out normal. I have also learned that the breathing troubles, heart pounding, racing thoughts, and so on, go away when I busy myself with something that takes my mind off them.
If I really had a physical problem that wouldn't happen.
I can only speak from my personal experience as can everyone else that posts.
I really don't believe that anyone is offhandedly saying to ignore the symptoms and just put to down to panic/anxiety but after one has had all the tests and several docs say that you are physically ok and that you have anxiety, the next step has to be where to go from there. Does one continue to get test after test and go from doc to doc believing that someone had to have missed something or does one face the fact that it is anxiety and try to overcome it thru whatever means they choose?
It's tough I know but at one point and time we all have to face that choice.

jackie
29-05-06, 16:14
for someone who suffers from an underactive thyroid and health anxiety i would prefer it if you did not mention the connection with heart and thyroid . this heart fear is a fear many of us have and to see in black and white that it can be made worse by the thyroid is frightening for us all. namely me

i too see my underactive thyroid as a minor thing and do not want to now start fearing this

i soo hope you do not think im being rude but after all this is a health anxiety section and underactive thyroid is such a common thing that i do not want to make it into a big issue for me. i have enuf to fear in my life, too much

jackie

Daisybun
30-05-06, 23:26
I had an overactive thyroid, palpitations etc, shaking and couldn't keep still. I wasn't anxious, it felt very different from the anxiety i feel now. I now have an underactive thyroid due to an op to try and sort it all out, the first bout of depression i had was after that. Having an underactive thyroid can make you depressed, it can also make you tired, it only takes a simple blood test to rule it out and your GP can check that before diagnosong anxiety, never had palpitations for being underactive but always with panic!!!
I would also go against Googling symptoms - doing it now for a condition I'm suffering and totally freaked out. Not Good.

Daisybun

'This too will pass'

hmmm
31-05-06, 19:43
It would be interesting to know how how many people here have a thyroid problem too so I've started a poll:

[Link removed invalid url]

dave01
31-05-06, 20:55
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I know what you mean, but let me assure you, anxiety can make you ill without any underlying health problems. I have suffered with health anxiety for many years and have been tested for heart desease, Thyroid problems and a number of other things.

When you suffer anxiety, your body produces chemicals in a different way to someone who does not suffer from anxiety. This process is called the fight or flight process.

When the body feels it is in danger, it produces chemicals that prepare your body for the worst. these chemicals are the same chemicals that are resposible for the horrid gut wrenching feelings we get when we are anxious. People who suffer from health anxiety start off anxious, and quickly fall into depression because the axiety does not subside. The morbid feelings we have often last for weeks, even months, causing the deression to deepen and the anxiety to continue.

During this time our body makes changes to cope with theses feelings. Some neurotransmitters in the brain stop functioning correctly causing us to stay in a depressed state, and other chemicals are increased as part of the fight or flight response. Some other processes change too. It is these prcesses that cause the symptoms.

Your scepticism that axiety alone cannot creat these symptoms is very typical of someone who suffers health anxiety. Our natuaral response is to think of the worst case senario.

Yes, of course some physical illnesses can cause anxiety, but if you are suffering from health anxiety in general, the anxiety is the most likely cause for your symptoms. Espessially if you have been tested for heart or thyroid problems.

health anxiety is a mental health Illness which is very real. I can assure you that you do not have to have any real underlying problems to suffer this. I persanally thing that health anxiety is closely realted to post traumatic syndrome, where by it is a by product of a serious trauma experienced earlier in life. Often when something bad happens to you, the effects will manifest themself in different types of anxiety.

I have also found through study, that often this type of anxiety can run in families.

As time goes on and the world produces more and more dangers in ever day life, we all suffer stress from time to time. In people with health anxiety, or any other type of anxiety, these stresses can be triggers.

Heart palpitations are very normal for someone with anxiety, of course they can be caused by physical conditions, but you have to think to yourself, If every one on here did no deep down believe that what they are actually going through is just anxiety, they would be unlikely to be here in the first place.

You say "Type Thyroid and heart into google". I personnally would suggest that people do not do this as it will only lead to increased anxiety. I can stress enough how destrying to your condition, looking up symptoms on the internet really is.

I really do hope that you find a way to deal with your own health anxiety. I know what its like for you and i hope you get to feel better soon.

<div align="right">Originally posted by Jbgood - 28 May 2006 : 03:25:19</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

d.jones

dave01
31-05-06, 21:14
hi, i am new to this site so please bear with me. i suffer with anxiety and i have for about six years i believe as a result of post traumatic stress. right now the anxiety seems to be in total control . the slightest worry or negative thaught can prompt a total anxious state ie lighthead,dizzy spells, weakness, tremors etc. i am also unable to put even minor problems into perspective. i also feel i may have some ocd traits , i put myself under pressure to be almost perfect both morally and in practical terms such as doing d.i.y. just wandered if anyone else goes along like this, or can offer any advice please.

<div align="right">Originally posted by Jbgood - 28 May 2006 : 03:25:19</div id="right">
[/quote]

d.jones

<div align="right">Originally posted by dave01 - 31 May 2006 : 20:55:28</div id="right">
[/quote]

d.jones