PDA

View Full Version : Docs

kirgray
11-11-11, 09:28
Hello All, well im back to docs shortly my sick note runs out today, ive been on propanalol for 2 weeks ive had some ok days and some off days but mostly dont feel any different, im hoping he may change my tabs and refer me for CBT, i will let you know how it goes! im dragging myself swimming later today too (well going to try) i also really want to pick up the m & s 2 dine for £10 but dont know if i can as i know it will be heaving in there! wish shops did a drive thru lol hope u all have an ok day xx

beauty
11-11-11, 09:43
Hello,

I hope your day goes well :hugs:

Well done for trying to get out there and go swimming etc, thats really brave and even if you don't manage as much as you want its still a big achievement that you tried.

Good luck in getting to M&S too, just think of how good it will feel if you can do it!

Keep us updated on how you get on :)

xxx

ronski
11-11-11, 17:37
Kirgray you seem to be coping reasonably well but I have picked up on some negatives that are not helping you long term. Negativity breeds anxiety because it allows the mind to focus on unhelpful traits. You have questioned your condition after taking beta blockers, what you have not understood is that beta blockers will help with the symptoms but will not treat the underlying cause. Also anxiety causes a sensitivity of the nervous system and that can take around 3 months of true acceptance to allow the body to drop the sensitivity.
Going swimming is to be commended so don't make it a chore in your mind, go with a tired but a willing nature as that again stops the negativity that can be so damaging long term to your nervous system.
And most importantly do not start using avoidance as that is the slippery step to agoraphobia, go to Marks and Spencer's and get your dinner for two.
What you must remember Is that anxiety is a behavioural disorder, not an illness but if you allow it to control then eventually it can unbalance the autonomic nervous system due to tension and ongoing release of stress hormones. Then it becomes a nightmare as it can affect many bodily systems including your energy production. So yes get that CBT from your doctor and practice mindfulness and live your life to the full.

kirgray
11-11-11, 18:50
WOW good advise i love it! i feel awful i didnt make it to m & s or swimming though few other things came up, nothing to do with avoidance today! can i ask Ronski you mention true acceptance of the sensitivity, sorry i might be a bit thick here lol do you mean for me to understand the symptoms i am experiencing from my nervous system due to tension, stress? thank you for the great advise keep it coming!

---------- Post added at 18:50 ---------- Previous post was at 18:49 ----------

Thanks Beauty :)

ronski
11-11-11, 19:47
Kirgray, true acceptance is not about understanding because to be honest a lot of doctors do not understand the true nature of anxiety. It is a poorly understood condition and to be honest only sufferers can truly understand how debilitating it can become.
True acceptance is far simpler than that, it's allowing the symptoms and sensations to be present but giving them no importance. You can acknowledge them but that's it, no emotion such as anger, frustration, intolerance, envy can be attached. It means carrying on with your life allowing your symptoms to be present 24 hrs a day if necessary. This will allow the body to heal because true acceptance stops dead the release of stress hormones which keep your nervous system under stress.

Carys
11-11-11, 20:14
Wow great post above ! :D

kirgray
12-11-11, 08:46
Ronski your advise is great love it!! xx

Veronica H
12-11-11, 20:52
:yesyes: You should write a book buddy:bighug1:XV

hello
12-11-11, 21:35
yes great advice!!!: those m&s dine in things look amazing!!! i've never had one but i was hoping of getting one (as in both) for myself, when they advertised the steak and chips then the gooey centre chocolate pudding!! and then you get a bottle of wine to guzzle !!!

MmmmMMMMmmmmMMMmmm

£10 ???? it's almostthe same price as take-away !!

great advice indeed !

Meewah
13-11-11, 07:16
Ronski

Great Advice, You have a natural way with words.

I use mindful meditation to relax myself and then act out the anxious situation in my head. I find with time I can act as an onlooker and not get enveloped in the situation. A little like detachment, likes it not me really there. Make sense???

Acceptance with the ability to be a bystander to your mind is a valuable skill. You can calmly watch it go off the rails but not involve yourself. A little like witnessing a fight in the street but not involving yourself.

It takes practice but it is very useful for living life to the full.

Mee

ronski
13-11-11, 10:34
Meewah you have understood the practice of Mindfulness 100%, acting as an observer with your symptoms allows understanding but not getting attached emotionally. It's all those negative emotions that keep the anxiety sensitivity alive and kicking.
I feel that sometimes we send out the wrong message to ourselves in that we wish so much to be rid of that anxiety. But in reality that will never be the case, anxiety is intrinsic, it is built into our bodies as a protective mechanism so allowing immediate response to situations that put our very lives and well being at real risk of harm. This immediate response comes from our subconscious so when dealing with anxiety bear it no grudge as it is really a wonder mechanism that keeps you alive.
When we talk about curing anxiety we mean lowering the sensitivity to normal but still allowing the anxiety to react in appropiate circumstances. But in my experience you will all probably have a more sensitive nervous system for the rest of your life but that dosent mean it will not go to a normal sensitivity, it just means that the tools that you use to heal the nervous system you will have to use as a lifestyle. In other words continue with your mindfulness and meditation, allow time to relax, be kind to yourself and look at life with a positive slant. Sorry about the waffle ha ha but I feel that the sometimes we talk about ridding ourselves of anxiety and that can give us the wrong goal that we have to aim for.