PDA

View Full Version : Question about the mouth - Can anybody help?

reddevil
28-05-06, 08:45
Hello,

I have had a terrible week (yet again with health anxiety), which was brought on by something, which would sound stupid to non-anxiety sufferers.

Last wednesday I was at work, sitting at my desk and I was just feeling around my mouth with my tongue (wish I never did this action now).

Let me explain:-Top of my mouth, the right side feels smooth but the left side does not (It feels like it's raised).

I'm not sure if i'm feeling skin ridges or something.
My wife has looked inside my mouth and she says that no lumps are present but it does look red.

As soon as she told me it looked red my anxiety levels have hit the roof.

Please could you tell me if I'm worrying over nothing or should I see a dentist?
Tony

Pen
28-05-06, 09:51
Hi Tony

I have had a similar concern over my mouth recently - when eating a packet of salt and vinigar crisps I found that my both of my lips and the inner membranes of my lips became noticably swollen. This has never happened to me before and freaked me out. I have put it down to the months that I have suffered with anxiety causing me to be run down both physically and mentally. Anxiety seems to have caused my metabolism to go on to overdrive and I can eat what I want, when I want (unheard of before my anxiety started) and I believe that I haven't been able to retain any goodness from food due to this and my contiouous state of nervousness. I have recently started to take vitamin supplements and am hoping this with help.

Take care and try not to worry

"Anxiety is evil"

JayK
28-05-06, 11:39
Over Reaction to any sensations, feelings and physical problems (real or otherwise) seems to be a very common anxiety response.
I think its possible you had some crisps, some lozenge or possibly just a bit of a burn.
With anxiety sufferers, we immediately focus our fear on it, fearing the fear and so on.
Meanwhile, its probably just another example of your body working properly to heal something.

I have to believe its important to 'acknowledge' the fear, allot a portion of time to addressing it (have wife look)
Then
After you have noticed the symptom just let it float away or 'run its little course'.
Then be amused at it.
Then dont accomadate it.

Im finding this works very well although it really is a lot easier said than done for the first while.
We have a very well refined bad habit in our thinking and it just does not want to give up yet.
It wants to keep returning us back to our familiar 'worry' pattern asap.

Personally, I wish I didnt run my tongue over my recent dental work since its a bit shoddy and really does feel like blobs of plastic stuck in there.
This is not some 'ocd' and anxiety type reaction but really is true.
I give it 30 seconds and then decide not to focus on it.

Darn.. I just did now by writing about it lol!

giddy
28-05-06, 19:09
Hi Tony - it sounds like something you ate has irritated it a bit - have you eaten anything sharp or too hot? I find if I burn my mouth on coffee it feels smooth. Also eating too many boiled sweets or lockets can make my mouth feel funny. If you are very worried go and see your dentist, just to put your mind at ease.
Love Helen

reddevil
28-05-06, 19:51
Hi,

Funny you say that, I have been eating a lot of chocklate mini eggs of late, which does have sharp edges (the coating).

Tony

ThomasinaMac
29-05-06, 11:10
Hi Tony
Sorry to hear about your worries regarding your mouth. I am sure it is nothing, but going to see your dentist will put your fears to rest.
Your mouth is very sensitive, so lots of things like having too hot a drink, or eating sharp, spikey foods can cause irritation. I had a severe panic earlier this year, and I went to see my dentist, and she said some of the worst culprits are crisps, especially when they're really vinegary (if there is such a word!) and a lot of people are sensitive to the sodium lauryl sulphate they use in toothpaste to make it foam. I have had peeling/patches in my mouth that I worried about frantically, but once I switched to an aloe vera tooth paste, they calmed down. I also drink aloe vera juice, which is very good for your mouth too.
Another good remedy is something called Gengigell, its about £6.00 for a small tube, but its made out of the same substance as the connective tissue in your mouth, I find that if I have any irritations/sore spots this sorts it out quite quickly. I've had so may panics over things in my mouth, so please, don't wind yourself up. Get back to me if you feel anxious.
Take care

Tamsin

nell1965
29-05-06, 12:36
Tony
This happens to me all the time,ihave such a sensitive mouth and did go through a phase myself where i worried about it non stop, there is nothing serious wrong with your mouth,its your anxiety which is causing you the problems,if only there was an easy way to deal with that. Hope you feel better soon
Nell

I just want my life back
nell
x

scoobygirl2005
29-05-06, 15:55
Aw bless. Try not to worry. It could be nothing. It could be that you have burnt the side of your mouth when eating something hot and you have a little ulcer, but that will go in a few days, its happened to me loads of times. If you are that worried I would go to your doctor, but I am sure its nothing, so try not to worry hunni.

Scooby2005
x x

reddevil
31-05-06, 11:20
I have been the dentist and feel worse after going.

The dentist checked my gums and not the roof of my mouth where I was worried about..!

Not sure what to do now!

scoobygirl2005
31-05-06, 13:28
Perhaps it is better to go to the doctor instead of the dentist then?

Scooby2005
x x

reddevil
31-05-06, 16:29
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Perhaps it is better to go to the doctor instead of the dentist then?

Scooby2005
x x

<div align="right">Originally posted by scooby2005 - 31 May 2006 : 13:28:17</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

reddevil
31-05-06, 16:32
I have just been to see the hygiene dentist at the surgery.

She was very good and looked at it for at least 5 minutes.

She said that is was puffy but no lumps or anything nasty are present.

BUT, when I was leaving, she said "if it still bothers you in a couple of weeks then come back and see me"

Why did she say this as it's got me worrying again?