PDA

View Full Version : hello

cathy s
28-05-06, 20:48
Have been a member for a while but haven't written here yet.

I am 34, I have a husband and two children. I am a homemaker!

I have been dealing with anxiety for about 10 years. Nine months ago I had a big anxious episode (agraphobic, food phobic, completely stressed after completing a course, had been anxious about various different health stuff for some time - the world seemed to be closing in on me) this led me to start taking Citalopram, which was the hardest thing I have ever done as I was also anxious about taking any medication. I kept thinking it was going to bring on another mental disorder! I was on 20mg, now on 10 ( comming off very slowly!!!)
I had to know what led me to this point, and was extreemly scared that I could get so bad, I wanted to know why so I could fix it.

I learned that managing anxiety by aviodance and reasurance from others was making things worse. I hadn't been relaxing properly, or doing things I enjoyed (didn't even know what I enjoyed!) and was completely exhasted from being constantly anxious.

Currently trying to use CBT to deal with anxiety, I have lots of self help books, but what I have found most helpfull is contact with a proper therapist. He costs £100 per hour so I have only spoken to him for an hour and 1/2 an hour a month later. (am on NHS waiting list but have to wait 1 1/2 years!!!)

At the moment I am out & about regularly with no probs usually, unless I'm feeling ill or tired. I am often worried about something or other still.

I am determined to live a life that is carefree, to accept anxiety as a normal emotion & not get anxious about being anxious!
I am trying to change my thought processes to be healthier and happier. I've made a good start. It's annoying when you relapse abit! I always get scared that I will go back to being terrified & anxiety consumed as I was those months ago.
I know it will take alot of bravery and persistance to change those ingrained thoughts and feelings, but I will do it!!!!!

Finding this site has been a fantastic support. To hear others situations, some the same as mine, is very comforting. I always use this site as my first port of call as a support when I'm in need. Or when I want to add something positive, as thats the way forward isn't it!
Thank you to all who run this site.

giddy
29-05-06, 07:20
Welcome Cathy - lovely to hear how well you are doing.
Love helen

trac67
29-05-06, 11:37
Hi Cathy,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care
Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Attsila
29-05-06, 14:26
Welcome to the site cathy. I agree I most certainly get more comfort and peace from this site then anywhere else. You will live that worry free life I just know it as determied as you seem. I have good days and bad days but I know it will get better. I am sure the same will be true for you

worrying is alot Like a Rocking Chair It is something todo but it won't get you anywhere

scoobygirl2005
29-05-06, 15:20
Hi Cathy.

Welcome to the forum. You will find lots of help and support here.

Scooby2005
x x

May Day
29-05-06, 16:57
Hi Cathy

It's great to hear you're making good progress. Once you've come so far i don't think any relapse could take you back to such awful times. Keep your belief in your recovery strong in your mind and you'll get there.

Take care

May

The brightest, sunniest day may follow the darkest, stormiest night ... enjoy the sun

clickaway
29-05-06, 18:41
Welcome along Cathy.

The charity No Panic run a telephone CBT course and you can get cut-rate 'in-person' CBT through the National Phobics Society, if you feel you are in need whilst waiting for the NHS.

Take Care,

Ray
http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

cathy s
30-05-06, 07:15
Thank you to everyone who replied.

Although my intro sounded quite positive end determined I still have times when I feel I haven't got very far!

I really appreciate those of you who took the time to reply, makes me feel much better! (I will check out that CBT strait away.)

We all need lots of encouragement and praise to feel we're doing ok don't we.

Thank you very much.

Alexandra
30-05-06, 15:23
Hi Cathy

Welcome to the forum

Take Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
In & Out Of Your Life
But Only True Friends
Will Leave Footprints
In Your Heart

Daisybun
30-05-06, 21:41
Hi cathy and welcome
You'll find lots of support and help here.
take care

Daisybun

'This too will pass'

chucklehound
31-05-06, 13:07
Hi Cathy and welcome to NMP