PDA

View Full Version : Relationships..husband, wife, etc...do they get it?

Em84
14-11-11, 14:04
Hi

I know second post today...I was just wondering if any of you find it hard to get your partners to understand what you are going through?

I tell my husband how bad I feel all the time with the anxiety and he thinks I'm a weirdo and I just need to relax and not get stressed. The thing is I don't need to be stressed for the anxiety to kick in.....

It's the same with my friends, if I call one saying im scared and having an anxiety attack they tell me to relax as if I'm stressed out.....

Why don't people who do not suffer with this see this as a proper illness, that it's not in our heads...the physical symptoms that come with it is the thing that then triggers everything else?

How can you help them see that there is something actually happening?

Did anyone find their partners not believing you at first?

Xxx

nicola1980
14-11-11, 14:18
Hi my husband knows i suffers anxiety and to be fair has tried to be understandung but like he said he just doesn't understand? ive been getting some awful panic attacks the last 4 days and ive always hid these from him in the past but yesterday i had one come on and i couldn't run and hide like i usually do!! i ended up having a full blown panic attack infront of him and he was brilliant, just held me close till it past stroking my hair etc, i was so embarrased after :blush: but think it might have actually hit home to him how scarey these attacks r for me and that its not in my head and i can't just snap out of it!! xx

sweetly
14-11-11, 14:46
Hi, don't know if you can get your husband to read through any of Dr. Claire Weekes books, but they'd probably give him a pretty good idea of what is actually happening and how it's affecting you - they may be a bit old fashioned, but certainly explain in clear detail the awful way that anxiety can get a hold on us.