PDA

View Full Version : help with obsessive thoughts and anxiety

eshm25
14-11-11, 20:26
Hi all

Im hoping if anyone can help me with my problems, I would appreciate any adivice or help

Ive always suffered with anxiety attacks and intrusive thoughts but recently it has interrupted with my work life. My problem is that I am constantly having thoughts that i am going to get an anxiety attack and my mind is bombarded with these thoughts that it eventually brings the anxiety symtoms of heart palpitations and sweat etc.

The main problems is that both the obsessive thoughts and anxiety symptoms means I lose my focus and concentration and therefore work becomes harder. I then worry that If it disrupts my work I may lose my job and the worries associated with that, so it becomes a full on cycle as this also brings on anxiety.

To give you a scenario, lets just say that I am in the middle of writing an important report, I cannot just think like a normal person and all my thoughts are going to that report. My mind will try and test me and will say if you get anxiety you wont be able to finish this report, so it will constantly give me thoughts of failing the report which in turn leads the anxiety symptoms. The problem is that these constant thoughts and my mind always wanting to think these thoughts leads me to losing concentration and the anxiety also contributes to this as well.

I have seen therapists and the common agreement is that I should accept the thoughts and anxiety as It will go away. I can accept the anxiety symtoms and live with it but the fact that the anxiety leads to a loss of focus on my work is the difficult part. Also when i accept the thoughts, because thats all that goes through my mind, again that disrupts my patterns of thought.

Please let me know if your program can help and breifly how it can help.

Many Thanks for your time

ESH

Rod
15-11-11, 21:17
It sounds like you are putting up with and not accepting. I do the same thing. When I am at work and it happens to me I just slow down a little, breath and steadily continue on. Dont try and push the thoughts away. Just let them come and go.

It is very hard to accept. I struggle too.

slipstream
15-11-11, 22:32
Indeed accepting it is very hard, what sort of job do you have? Sounds pretty deminding. Trying to concentrate is difficult, i find it overwhellming and my head feels so cloudy.

Everyone finds there own ways of dealing with the intrusive thoughts, its just finding the right way that starts to make improvements.