PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety - Coeliac and Hypos please read all of you!

shakey1961
15-11-11, 14:45
Hi All. It's been a very long time since I posted on here, but I felt I needed to share my experiences and findings with you all

I'll try and keep this short, but bear with me.

I baked a Victoria sponge cake, something I hadn't done for years. Very tasty it was, which meant I ate a few more pieces than I should have. Following day I spent most of the day with frequent trips to the bathroom. (I won't go into the gorey details but you can guess, they weren't short stays in there lol)

I had thought it was to do with the eggs. Saw my GP and he suggested it could be the flour. I though that would be funny if it was.

Anyway, an opportunity arose to bake another one. I used butter instead of margarine this time. I tentatively had a small slice and Bob's your uncle two hours later the bathroom trips started.

So... I cut out wheat flour. Within days I was so relaxed. I could think better, was sleeping better, breathing slower and my heart rate was calmer!

I bought some Wheat and Gluten free flour from the Health food shop and made the sponge cake again. Tasted exactly the same..... and guess what..... 2 hours later NO BATHROOM VISITS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have cut out wheat from my diet and feel so much better. I had suffered from Hypos since the age of 16 and still get them, but not as bad as before I cut out the wheat!!!

I'll have to do a test with Gluten free wheat flour to see if it's the wheat, gluten or both, but I've found another link in my search for the problem.

Oh yes, do keep drinking water as well. Symptoms of dehydration in anxious people can present as anxiety!!

Try it.... and if you want more help from what I've found out I'll look back again here tomorrow. I only have access via a library at present.

Hope this helps you all

Regards

Steve

Tish
15-11-11, 21:08
This is interesting Steve. I suffer from IBS and it's a long journey sometimes trying to find the trigger. I discovered mine was too much fibre, in fact it was switching to a 'healthy' diet that triggered it. More recently I've discovered that wheat is also a trigger. I noticed after having spag bol with the wheat in the pasta and garlic bread. Now, I've also noticed that drinking lager isn't good for me. Posts like yours are really useful as it can draw attention to things that people haven't really thought of before.
:) x

Wolfie
16-11-11, 13:35
What most people don't realise is that food items such as wheat and gluten are thought to be large contributors to health issues such as IBS, etc. But, can also cause bowel issues regardless of whether you are diagnosed with IBS or not. Cutting out wheat and gluten would be one of the best things anyone could do. Also, soya is a big one too! Congrats for cutting it out, it can be difficult as many foods that we eat are filled with gluten and wheat.