PDA

View Full Version : Anyone signed off work at the moment?

kittikat
15-11-11, 20:37
Hey all....is anyone off work with their anxiety issues at the moment? Just wondering how long you've been of and is it helping?

I have already been off 10 days and my doc has just signed me off for another 2 weeks. Terribly restless and usual symptoms but I am so starting to fear going out alone now. Got into a terrible panic driving to docs about a mile away :weep: I would'nt say I CAN'T go out...just getting really anxious about it. Oh yes...on diazepam, can't do other meds.

How have your employers dealt with your issues, were they helpful and supportive? How long did it take for you to have the strength & courage to go back to work (or maybe you could'nt)?

Love to hear from anyone in this sort of situation. Thanks :)

Moggo
15-11-11, 20:44
Hi,

I've been off work for 10 months. Employers supportive but I am no further forward health wise.

You just have to take things day by day :)

PM me for more info if you like.

emmasaurus
15-11-11, 21:34
i too have been signed off for over ten months now. my original panic disorder seems a little easier to control, but my health/general anxiety is in no way better for having more time on my hands.

sarahjb
15-11-11, 21:48
I was signed off for a 9 week stretch earlier this year due to my anxiety. I work in social work and as part of the sickness procedure I had to attend a occupational health meeting. The Dr was very helpful and informed me that in terms of sickness absence I was covered by disability legislation as I have a 'disability'/long term illness. In terms of timescales for being off - you really need to stay off until you are ready to cope with the demands of work . In my experience (and Ive been off alot) if you go back too soon it doesnt help.
Hope this helps.
x:yesyes:

pinkdove
15-11-11, 21:55
take the time you need, i went back after only 2 weeks, and had a major relapse, ended up leaving work, that was 2 years ago, just getting better now, should have taken the time off i needed at the start, it takes time, so take your time good luck x

slipstream
15-11-11, 22:14
I feel that if i had time off where i work would just come back worse as one thing that highterns my anxiety is being there. No one would be supportive as there all rude horrible people. This also makes me feel trapped into the place that i cant escape from it! Easyer said than done getting a new job tho as cant fall back on money or take a pay cut.

Does your empolyer have to pay full pay if you get signed off?

kittikat
15-11-11, 22:31
Thanks for your replies, not sure if I feel better or worse now lol !! I am already feeling so guilty about being off, I know my work will pile up and I can't imagine they will get cover for me (I'm an assessor in a education) my job is generally qiute solitary and I am supposed to be out on visits quite alot. My current condition has meant I can't travel too far from my comfort zone without getting terrible anxiety and as a result I have not kept up with some of the appointments. I am so scared my employer will have me on capability grounds now that I can't carry out my duties as expected.
Sarah...would I be covered by disability leglislation?? How does that work?
Moggo, Emma, Pinkdove Thanks for your posts. Great to know I'm not the only one suffering at the mo. Good luck and speedy recoveries to you all :)

---------- Post added at 22:31 ---------- Previous post was at 22:27 ----------

Thanks Slipstream...I think I can get full pay for 6 months but thats because I have been there quite a few years. Like you I wish it was easy to get a nice stress free job elsewhere!! I also get bad anxiety at work and find I can't focus on things. I hope things improve for you soon :D

chappers1980
16-11-11, 07:55
I've had 5 weeks off and am going back on Monday!!!!!!!

Humly
16-11-11, 09:26
I've been signed off for 2 weeks to start with. Dont know if its a good thing or not as I am here mulling things over on my own. On the other hand I didnt want to be at work eithereven though they are lovely and supportive. I dont get paid if I am not there but luckily my hubby works and can support us.

kirgray
16-11-11, 10:40
Hi, I was signed off for 2 weeks initially then went back friday and was signed off for another 2 weeks and then suggested phased return to work yikes i feel the same bit isolated, lonley yesterday i went out for a drive for few hours just so i take my self out of the house for a while! but felt the same bit panicky but got better the longer i stayed out :)

kittikat
16-11-11, 11:37
Thanks to all for your replies. It is rather isolating being off work, not sure if it's a good thing....normally would be jumping with joy:yahoo: wow time to myself, loads to do...but I just can't get motivated at the moment. But hey...couldn't do the daily stress and reached breaking point. I guess we will all know when we feel ready to face it again.

I'm having good & bad days, feel so anxious in the mornings and then if the phone rings or someone knocks on the door I get so scared...who is it, what do they want from me? Is that normal? :wacko: Hell...what is normal !!

Thanks again..really appreciate all the posts..wish you all well xx

Humly
16-11-11, 12:49
I nearly jump out of my skin if the phone rings or if I get a text. I'm so nervous.

slipstream
16-11-11, 18:58
When i had my worst low last year i wish i took time off as it would have helped dramtically. I advise anyone to take time off if your anxiety gets worser. kittikat have you found the source of your attacks yet? I know its hard to pin point tho.

kittikat
16-11-11, 19:35
Not really sure Slipstream.....had a bad miscarriage about 5 yrs ago...the PA's started about a year later...that's really the only thing I can pinpoint. Suffered anxiety on and off ever since.
What about you??

millym
17-11-11, 18:34
Been off work for 10months due to bullying by a work colleague - they've denied it all, called me a liar and that I've imagined it all and management want me to leave the past in the past and return to work and move on (yeah, like its that easy :mad:). Neither my gp nor counsellor feel I would be up to going through a formal process. Anyway, I've been so ill and stressed because of this, on medication and at counselling but I've come to the end of the road because a) my mental health can't take the strain of deciding whether to go back to work or not and, b) my payments are running out. I'm torturing myself with knowing what to say tocolleagues asking questions about why I've been off (easy when its a broken leg or something visible) and I don't even know if I can walk through the door but then I think of the money, I'm so very lucky to have a job - might never have the confidence to get another and that there were some good aspects of it. I really am in mental anguish, can't sleep, and don'tknow what to do for best. I keep weighing up the pros and cons but still can't decide. Can anyone offer any advice?? :weep:

william wallace
18-11-11, 10:01
I work for a well known oil company. Been with them about four years. Back in July my A&D kicked in real bad and I had to take some time off (12 weeks) I went back and the bosses were very supportive, sent me on courses, medicals, occy health to bring my skills up to date, allowed me time of for doc appointments etc. My colleagues were all genuinely glad to have me back saying it was'nt the same without me, no laughs, lots of unrest and arguing etc. I was just starting to get into the groove when I recieved a letter from HR informing me that I am to be made redundant on the 3rd of December. I am assured that it has nothing to do with my mental health issues, and the reason for my redundancy is because they managed with a team of 3 instead of 4 for the time I was off. I cant name the company because I have to sign an agreement not to disclose or sue. In return I recieve an enhanced package. I'm pretty sure that I was discarded because they dont want someone on antidepressants driving cranes and forklifts:mad:

slipstream
18-11-11, 10:58
sounds like somthing my company would do, be all lovey dovey when you get back then show you the door. Problem is companys see it as such a bad thing when there paying for someone thats not there. Grrr everyone to there selfs. My anxiety first started 5 years ago, i think it was from going from school to the big wide world took a hit on me. Had other problems all my life tho, being a child you can easerly take you mind of it.

evil monkey
19-11-11, 19:25
just over 3 years at moment. going by the way I was before, this is the only thing that could have happened. Just attempting to fix the cause at the moment.

lorra
20-11-11, 14:45
Hi Kittikat, i was signed off for 2 wks recently with bad anxiety. But when i went back to work it was too soon and i ended being off for another 5 wks. I felt like you very restless especially my legs they could not stay still and preferred to keep walking or sitting, but definately no standing. When i went back mid october, i worked half days to start with. This might help you as going back in the deep end is a definate no no. My employers were very understanding and supportive, and occupational health also wrote a letter of support. Get your doctor to tick 'phased return to work' for at least the first month and see how you feel. After being so long in the house, i was scared to go out and meet people, but i think going across to the shop to start with might help break the ice for you. Hope things get better for u soon :flowers:x

Magic
20-11-11, 14:50
William,
Yes, I have know this happen to a couple of people. One person could not go back to work because of their disabilty, and was made redundant with a few more, and the few more were reinstated after a while.
The other person --who had a breakdown due to stress from work,had the sack,but I am happy to say that after seeing a councellor and was poorly for quite a while--has now found another job and has settled in quite well.The pay has reduced , but the stress has gone. Which is the most important!!!!

kittikat
20-11-11, 18:55
Hi Kittikat, i was signed off for 2 wks recently with bad anxiety. But when i went back to work it was too soon and i ended being off for another 5 wks. I felt like you very restless especially my legs they could not stay still and preferred to keep walking or sitting, but definately no standing. When i went back mid october, i worked half days to start with. This might help you as going back in the deep end is a definate no no. My employers were very understanding and supportive, and occupational health also wrote a letter of support. Get your doctor to tick 'phased return to work' for at least the first month and see how you feel. After being so long in the house, i was scared to go out and meet people, but i think going across to the shop to start with might help break the ice for you. Hope things get better for u soon :flowers:x

Thanks lorra...really appreciate your reply...I'm due bak to doc tomorrow but still have a week to go on my current docs certificate. I am making progress which is good but I know if I return too soon it will set me back again. Did your pay reduce on phased return? I can't afford to take a cut in salary! It seems a good idea though, others have said going back too soon is not good. Trouble is I feel so guilty not being there but I guess thats all part of the anxiety :unsure: Did your employer send you to occupational health? Mum mum has talked me into going christmas shopping during the week so I know that will do me good as I too have that 'scared feeling' :wacko:
How are you doing now?? All good I hope :D Thanks again x