PDA

View Full Version : Everyone NEEDS to read this book

keepcalmandcarryon
15-11-11, 21:21
I'm sure some of you may have heard if it before...

"Self help for your nerves" by Claire Weekes

honestly, its AMAZING if you suffer from fear/panic/nerves. It mainly deals with physical symptoms (so far, im only on page 40) but it does touch on mental symptoms too, and im hoping it will further on in the book.

i've had anxiety for about a year, and only in the past few months have i tried books. i hate reading and ive never been able to sit down and concentrate on reading, but a few months ago i was just so desperate i was willing to try anything, so i turned to books.

I have tried every single anxiety/depression/panic book in my library and none have worked.
They are either:
Too medical
I dont understand it
Too patronising
Too long
Too complicated
I can't relate to them

or the author obviously just simply does not know what they are on about

I've honestly not learnt anything from any books i've read, and i've heard this one has been reccomended alot, and until the other day i didnt know my library had it! (was in a completely different section for some reason...)

ANYWAY

like i said, i've only read 40 pages so far, but i honestly smiled through the whole 40 pages. from the first few pages i thought "this is it. this is going to help me"

I think my problem is, i look for solutions that are too specific. As in, if i start reading a book, and it doesn't talk about my own personal issues (anxiety because of parents and death etc), i give up. This book didnt talk about my personal issues, but for some reason i wanted to carry on.

I just dont really know what to say but i cant reccomend it enough.

It's a long story and i dont want to blab, but basically, I just did something that i never thought i would be able to do. I did it, and felt physical symptoms of panic, but it they just didnt bother me, and i just smiled all the way through it

The book has mainly talked about just not fighting your symptoms, and accepting them, but Claire goes into a lot more specific detail about it, so im not going to try and talk about it here

anyway, i will keep everyone updated on here the more i read, but if anyone else has had success with this book, or wants to read it, share your thoughts below :hugs::):D:winks:

pollyanna
15-11-11, 21:35
this was one of the very first books i read when i first became ill, and it is the best book i have ever read on the subject, and it made so much sense to me, when i need a refresh i have a re read of it. all i can say is thank goodness i came across this book, , god bless claire weekes x

pinkdove
15-11-11, 21:57
yes i have listened to her tapes, they make a lot of sense , and have helped me too, good luck with the rest of the book keep us posted

eva82
19-11-11, 09:07
I also read this after I got my first panic attack that landed me in the hospital! I thought there wasn't anyone out there who could possibly understand what I was going through, but Dr. Weekes gets us. She has undoubtley helped so many "nervously ill" people, and given them hope during dark and painful times. What an amazing legacy she left behind!!

Carys
19-11-11, 11:45
I first read one of her books about 24 years ago ?! Borrow it from the library during my only brush with the A and E department from a panic attack. It was SO SO helpful, in those days with no internet and less acceptance of mental health problems in society in general, it was a god send.

suzy-sue
19-11-11, 14:44
Claire weekes book "Essentiel Help for your nerves " Really helped me understad what was happening to me and thus Help myself ..If anyone is interested in Buying these books .The NMP shop sells them at a low price..Sue x

Mirabelle
19-11-11, 15:58
Claire Weeks is a God
Xx

Dizzy_Dave
20-11-11, 18:09
Well considering you're all on a Panic website I would say she isn't that good?!

nicola1980
20-11-11, 18:26
Ive just ordered it :) xx

baileys
20-11-11, 18:38
Well considering you're all on a Panic website I would say she isn't that good?!
I think maybe its more the understanding as to why they feel the way they do that helps Dave, Ive ordered one of her book, its turning up Wednesday, if im not here next week, you know ive been fixed:yesyes: