PDA

View Full Version : THE SMELL!!!

Laurie28
21-04-04, 09:57
As some of you will know i am getting alot better (touch wood - madly tapping head!). yesterday though I got into the car(relatively warm day) and I smelt a smell - nothing major just the smell of my car on a warm day (do you know what I mean) Anyway almost immeditely anxiety kicked in, as when I was at my 'worst' that is the smell I used to smell everyday when getting in the car as my anxiety 'peaked' last summertime.
I remember all too clearly driving along and feeling like someone was behind me strangling me and barely being able to see for the tears streaming down my face

Strange how one thing can really start you off!!!

Thankfully I got a grip really quickly and recognised it for what it was but it did shock me a bit

(Did that make any sense at all???)

lucky

sarah
21-04-04, 11:47
Hiya Lucky

Made total sense to me.
Im really sensitive to smells now and associate them with panic. Even to the fact that I have to get my hubby to stand in the garden or another part of the house to put his aftershave on :)

love Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

Meg
21-04-04, 13:52
Lucky ,

Total sense here too.

Brilliant that you recognised it for what it was- a memory and dealt with it so well.

You really are doing so well these days. Fantastic

How is the nut thing ?

Meg

"Come to the edge."
"We can't. We're afraid."
"Come to the edge."
"We can't. We will fall!"
"Come to the edge."
And they came.
And he pushed them.
And they flew.

- Guillaume Apollinaire

Laurie28
22-04-04, 10:24
Thanks for the replies

It was very strange like a smell memory from childhood is making you smile or cry!!!

Anyway the nut thing is still not great (about the only thing I am still avoiding!)I know i should JFDI but saddly lacking at the mo!!!!

I will eat things that 'may contain traces of nuts' and will not nbther if people are eating stuff with nuts in near me but still have not got the courage to go the whole hog!!!
I know I have too soon but still very scared!!! (I had an egg thing for a while butsoon got over it!)

Lucky

stimpy
24-04-04, 21:41
It's funny you should mention the smell thing.

My CBT has a theory on that.
She says that when you panic you subconciously take in every little detail, no matter how small.
So even a smell or a sound can subconciously set you off.

When we left our old house, the electric went off and every thing in the freezer went off too,
to this day I can still smell that smell, when ever I defrost the freezer, even though no one else can smell anything.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'