PDA

View Full Version : New to forum - Hello Everyone

edlomb
30-05-06, 09:39
Hi all

I just wanted to post an in introduction.

I've been suffering on and off with panic/anxiety attacks for a while.

For the most part I can control them and I know that they are triggered by stress and worry.

The usual symptoms are, I feel a skipped beat or a tinge in my chest and then my thoughts start running off. Or I feel stressed and then worry that I will get panic attacks. The thought of going through what I did year back after my first one just reminds me of sheer hell and I guess that is what I am afraid of.

I figure the best way to deal with this is to try and deal with the stress.

I'm having a difficult time at the moment after an episode of palpitations last week. I didn't feel that stressed out but they just kicked in and this time I went to my GP to get some test run. I'm hoping this will ease my mind somewhat since I liev in fear of the damage these things might cause me.

I was okay for a few days after the attack but by the end of the week I was getting more and more worried and stressed about getting worried and stressed.

I'm trying a coupld of things to help me strenghten my mind and spirit - chi kung and yoga which I hope over time will really help me out. I know its all in my head. I guess sometimes it's hard to remember that in your darker moments.

I was wondering what other techniques people have tried. I was thinking of trying hypnotherapy.

Anyway thanks for reading :-)

Eddie

"Smile from your heart & Let it pass you by" - Sifu Wong

MrMonkey
30-05-06, 10:32
Yeah, sounds like you are on the right track. The basics of overcoming anxiety are to utilise relaxation techniques everyday, exercise regularly to burn of that nasty adrenaline stuff and counter negative thoughts by thinking positively. Find a ncie positive statement and repeat it to yourself through out the day, your subconciouss then takes it on borad and starts to make it happen,

Welcome and Good luck :)

It's just my high anxiety getting to the best of me. I call him Bingbongilypoop. Then I can laugh at him cos he has a funny name. HAHA! [points]

trac67
30-05-06, 11:48
Hi Eddie,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care
Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

amethyst
30-05-06, 11:58
Hi Eddie
Welcome to the forum. I'm the same, suffered with panic attacks on and off for years, but haven't had one for a few years now. Yes ,I blamed it on stress and lived in fear sometimes of getting 'stressed out ' and starting panic attacks again- but thats anxiety for you! You realise in the end that you are never going to live a stress free life and just learn ways to cope with it.

Yoga sounds good, that was one thing I was going to give a try but never got round to doing. Anything that helps you to relax can only be a good thing.

Anyway you will find good advice and alot of support on this forum. So glad I found it.
Take care
Amethyst.

Alexandra
30-05-06, 15:21
Hi Eddie

Welcome to the forum.

Take Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
In & Out Of Your Life
But Only True Friends
Will Leave Footprints
In Your Heart

manmoor
30-05-06, 15:39
Hi Eddie,

You will be made very welcome here everyones greatx

Mandyx

marie ross
30-05-06, 16:24
Hi Eddie,

Welcome to the forum, i hope you find a lot of help here.

Take care.

Marie XXX

giddy
30-05-06, 16:25
Welcome to the forum Eddie
Love Helen

Daisybun
30-05-06, 21:18
Hi Eddie
I use aromatherapy blends for anxiety which help and relaxation CDs which have been very helpful.
Take care

Daisybun

'This too will pass'

scoobygirl2005
30-05-06, 23:02
Hi.

Welcome to the forum. You will find lots of help and support here.

Scooby2005
x x

shiv
31-05-06, 09:40
Hello there and welcome to the forum

Shiv x

edlomb
31-05-06, 09:55
Thanks for the kind welcome!

It's great the places like this exist now a days.

chucklehound
31-05-06, 13:04
Hi Eddie and welcome to NMP

clickaway
31-05-06, 15:32
Hi Eddie and welcome to the forum.

Don't know much about hypno but hope other people can help you on this one.

Take Care,

Ray
http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

jackie
31-05-06, 19:59
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=reading

hi eddie. ever tried reading claire weekes book " self help for your nerves" it would really put you r mind at ease about the symptoms at least. you can order it from the site above

nice to here from you

jackie

edlomb
01-06-06, 10:05
Hi Jackie

Yeah I have that book. My friend who suffered from the panic/anxiety recomended it to me.

I read it whenever the feeling flare up. I'm reading it now. It really is a good book. I think this time around I will keep reading it even after these feelings go away.

I tend to use when I really need but never actually finish it properly so this time I'm reading it all the way through.

I'm doing a bit better now and waiting to get back some test results - these can put your mind at rest that you have no real damage to your heart or anything. I;m wearing a 24 ECG monitor as well.

Had some sleepness nights so am tired but I am getting through this. I'm just trying to remember that it is all in my head and that it doesn;t go away after just 1 day!

Thanks again to everyone who replied and your kind words.

Eddie

shell100
01-06-06, 10:58
HI everyone :)
im michelle, brand new to any forum let alone this one.
have had agoraphobia for about 7 years i guess & fought hard to get some normality in my life. Was on the dreaded seroxat for all of that time & then just before xmas thought life was so good that i would wean myself of it, which i did & havent had any since around end of march. was doing really well until all my old symptoms started returning, couldnt face life like that again so saw my gp who thougth about starting me on cipramil! searched for that on the web & came up with this site............so here i am.
Had my first tablet yesterday, in 4 divided doses, just incase, u never know with drugs do u.? feel really odd today, hence day off from work.
Im sure things will improve, im trying to stay positive & motivated :)
might need some helpalong the way
hugs to u all
michelle
xxx

darkangel
01-06-06, 12:16
hi eddie

First of all welcome to this site it truely is a great site.

I have tried various treatments to help ease anxiety because like you said it is the negative thoughts that keep anxiety going.

I had about 6 hypnotherapy sessions combined with EFT (emotional freedom technique) and it made a huge difference. I still get the symptoms but they dont have the same hold on me anymore and I can rationalise it more. Any form of relaxation is excellent and learning to ACCEPT how you feel is anxiety and DON'T ADD TO THE FEAR will make it a bit easier for you.

Take care

Darkangel

........life is for living not just for surviving

seh1980
01-06-06, 14:49
Welcome aboard!! :D

"If life were simple, word would have got around"

edlomb
01-06-06, 16:04
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">&lt;SNIP&gt;
I had about 6 hypnotherapy sessions combined with EFT (emotional freedom technique) and it made a huge difference. I still get the symptoms but they dont have the same hold on me anymore and I can rationalise it more. Any form of relaxation is excellent and learning to ACCEPT how you feel is anxiety and DON'T ADD TO THE FEAR will make it a bit easier for you.

Take care

Darkangel

<div align="right">Originally posted by darkangel - 01 June 2006 : 13:16:38</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Thanks for that darkangel. I am hoping to achieve the same thing. It's the fear that gets me and I want to work past that. I have my first session this week and I spoke to the hypnotherapist earlier in the week so she could better understand my problem. I felt reasured.

If I can work past that fear I think I will be much better off. I don;t get attacks as often as I did since I learn from each episode so figers crossed.

Eddie

Karen
04-06-06, 13:02
Hi Eddie

Welcome to the forum. I have had hypnotherapy and found it very helpful with my anxity and social phobia. I would definitely recommend it.

You might find the following information helpful:

First Steps (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=firststeps)

Symptoms (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=symptoms)

Links post: Links to posts about Common Problems (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7784)

You will find a lot of help and support here.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

KatiePie
05-06-06, 20:25
Hi Eddie

Welcome to the forum. I'm currently trying a couple of relaxation CDs to help me to relax when I get in from work. I have to remind myself to do it but when I do I feel much calmer.

Hope you find the site useful.

KatiePie