PDA

View Full Version : skipped beats

toni282
20-11-11, 22:01
Hey everyone, I've always had heart problems with it going to fast but I've started to get really bad palpatations! For the last 2 hours I've had lots of skipped beats about 8 a min just wanted to no if this was dangerous and need to go to the hospital ? Thanks

countrygirl
20-11-11, 22:21
I have had skipped heartbeats for over 25 years and at their worst they are every 3rd beat which is an awful lot more than you are getting and they are completely harmless. Very very horrible but your heart knows it haspu in a beat too soon so it then pauses and gives an extra hard beat to empty the heart of blood, its what its supposed to do.

I was told by cardiologist only anxious people feel these beats and unless a patient mentions feeling them they do not tell them that they can see them on ecg as they are considered just a normal variation in heart rhythm.
He said only time to seek advice is if you suddenly lose consciousness and then come too and it happens often as this can be a sign of an arrythmia that needs investigating.

toni282
20-11-11, 22:27
Thanks that's made me feel a bit better i was just really worried as ive had 3 heart operation as my heart is fast but I've never had this before

---------- Post added at 23:27 ---------- Previous post was at 23:25 ----------

And is it normal for them to last hours?

Ella_Jayne
21-11-11, 07:56
I've had them every 3-4 beats and last for about 8 hours on a couple of occasions. It's not a nice feeling at all so I sympathise with you. They're harmless but since you've had 3 heart operations, you should have a talk with your GP, just let him/her know how you're feeling. Hope you feel better soon. :)