PDA

View Full Version : Plane travel!!

Graz
21-11-11, 12:47
Hi all,

Firstly thanks so much everyone for all your support over time. I've become better and am now off the fluoxetine at last.

I have a lovely girlfriend who is my world and has helped me through these bad times. But the problem is she lives in Kiev, and I'm going to meet her on Thursday as I promised it. The previous time I met her I took trains over which took ages (2 days from here!), and have also met her in Germany. But as she can't get back there due to time, and I don't have much holiday from work I have no choice now but to fly 3 and a half hours...

I've already booked tickets for this thursday and am absolutely petrified :sad: I can't sleep at night, have bad dreams about the extreme height, plane crashes, etc. Most of the day I'm worried and thinking "Only 3 days left" etc. I can't wait to see her, but the thought of the flight is just leaving me a wreck. I don't want to cancel and let her down, but what if something happens to the plane or I have a panic attack or even a heart attack on board when no one can help me?

I took the plane before once this year to Spain and was shaking the entire way. Takeoff was an absolute nightmare- I hate the feeling of the plane accellerating to 500mph in the space of seconds. I had the window blind shut the entire time because I daren't look out. That said though I did survive...just!

What can I do to make this bearable? Pls help... :weep:

william wallace
21-11-11, 13:12
Go see your GP and tell them how you feel about the flying, they'll more than likely give you some Diazepam. Flying is trhe safest form of transport. Think about the pilots and cabin staff doing it as a full time job. When you are on the plane look around you and you will see passengers from new born babies to old folks. You can always spot the "frequent flyers" by the way that they dont bat an eyelid at landings or takeoffs or turbulence because they know that its the safest and fastest way to travel. Most of all focus on seeing your girlfriend, it'll make it all worthwhile.
Good luck, WW:)

danbryn
21-11-11, 13:30
Should without a doubt prescribe you Diazepam. i had that in november last year to go away for a week. Really helps :)

Graz
21-11-11, 13:40
Thanks william wallace and danbryn! Does the diazepam really work though? I've got worries about it just ...well, doing nothing! Have booked an appt for tomorrow though :)

happydylbob
21-11-11, 14:08
Hello
I am just like you when it comes to flying. I finally took the plunge and booked a holiday to fuerteventura in October after 3 years of avoiding it I decided it was not fair on my family that we had to holiday in the UK because of my fear.
I have had diazapam from the doc in the past just for flying it does take the edge off but I was still scared so this time I decided to go cold turkey and feel the fear. I had really tried to turn my fears into positives before going making myself think of good things about going on holiday everytime a bad thought crept in. I found this really helped with the days before the flight.
I too hate the feeling when flying on the take off on the way there I did feel really bad as soon as we were up I got out a crossword which did help to distract me, the few glasses of wine really helped relax me too! When I got off the plane the other end I was so proud of myself for doing it and had a fab holiday with my family.
I was mad with myself about the take off and was determined not to let it get the better of me on the way home, as it didn't help my kids.
Take off on the way back was better I closed my eyes really tight and made myself work out an equation in my head (crazy I know) but it worked for that moment I was somewhere else. Maybe you could concentrate on learning a poem or song words or something in your head and make yourself concentrate on that.
Hope this Helps
Have a great time :)

sweet_petite83
23-11-11, 20:48
hey graz,

i'm in a very similar situation to you. my boyfriend lives in gibraltar and i have to travel by plane to see him.

i've had bad experiences with flying before so before every flight i get extremely nervous . From never thinking i would get on a plane again i have been to visit him three times this year and have another trip booked in just over a week so it can be done!

I do get anxious on the plane, especially just before getting on and at take off, but ive managed the anxiety by taking some valium with me, not actually taken any yet but its comforting to know its there and i try and distract myself by reading listening to podcasts etc. i find talking to the people youre sat next to (if youre travelling on your own) can be comforting too.

Apart from that positive thinking and maybe a small glass of wine can help too lol. honestly youll be there before you know it.

Good luck x

JOHN55
26-11-11, 20:58
I have listened to books on tape and find this very helpful although diazapam got me to crete and back and i would not hesitate to give both these a go - dont let the fear beat you or it will move on to something else it will try and stop you doing ...

thepanicman
28-11-11, 11:16
Instead of worrying about the plane going 500mph, try being fascinated by it and how the plane actually works.

I still get clammy hands on take-off but I now almost enjoy flying. The following might also help, they did me.

1) Do look out of the window - not being able to see what is going on makes me nervous and it's really very graceful.

2) Tell the stewardess you are nervous - I find just telling someone I'm having a panic attack helps me a lot.

3) Talk to whoever is next to you.

4) You need to think about whether this is a good idea or not for you very carefully before proceeding, but I found watching the Air Crash Investigations programs helped me enormously as I now realise that a plane won't fall apart if it goes through a cloud etc etc. Again, be careful with this one. I am the kind of person that takes comfort in knowing how things work, if that's not you then it will probably make you feel worse.

Chandra
25-03-12, 20:41
Graz... how did your flight go

raquel
26-03-12, 10:19
Yes, lorazepam/diazepam really works well. I also hate/am scared of flying and I really don't think I could go anywhere abroad, if I didn't take one and a half lorazepam tablets (prescribed by my GP) about 2 or 3 hours before getting on a plane.

eternally optimistic
26-03-12, 14:55
Does this work well for you Raquel, how do you feel with it?

Are you rough for days after??

Think this is my only option, if I wish to get back on the big bird in the sky.

raquel
26-03-12, 17:02
Jay ann, I usually feel fine with lorazepam whilst I am flying, as it totally takes the edge off my fear, and I can even sit really calmly by the window, and look out at take off and landing! Unthinkable if I didn't take the lorazepam!!

However, I wouldn't take lorazepam other than for flying, as I always feel quite groggy and a bit nauseous/dizzy afterwards (when I land), and I've noticed it makes food taste a bit odd too. I mentioned that to my GP, and he had never heard anyone say that before, and he suggested that I drink more water as it could be due to having a dry mouth. I've tried that, and food does still taste odd.

But I've never felt rough for days afterwards. The effects have worn off by the next day, and I only take one/one and a half tablets a couple of hours before a flight anyway.

Granny Primark
26-03-12, 19:08
Coming back from Turkey on a night flight I noticed it was lightening. Almost everyone on the plane was asleep including my hubby and my daughter. Im petrified of lightening. I was sitting on the seat by the isle.
The man opposite me must have realised how scared I was and reached over and grabbed my hand!
He chatted to me about anything and everything.
When we got off the plane my friend who was sitting 3 seats back asked what the hell was going on?!?!:ohmy::blush:
I still think how strange it must have looked.:roflmao:
But it did help. If id have wakened up me hubby he would have just told me to close my eyes and not look out the window.

AnxiousAnnie18
31-03-12, 18:27
You should see your doctor as they should be able to prescribe some tablets that will calm you down and make the journey more bearable... just think of the moment you will get to see your girlfriend!

Meltdown
01-04-12, 12:12
What effects do these tablets have? I sometimes take some herbal tablets containg Valerian (herbal valium) if I can't sleep, but I find that for up to an hour, I actually feel worse! - tense, more palpitations - then the calming effect finally kicks in

I have a job that requires me to travel in europe occasionally, but I have a real problem with flying! - it's not the safety/fear of crashing so much for me, as being in an enclosed space I can't get out of!

Graz
05-04-12, 11:19
Big thanks for your help everyone! Just to give an update... I had the Diazepam and took the plane over and while I wasn't exactly calm until the middle of the flight, it actually went pretty well. I was pretty relaxed all the way with only a few occasional waves of anxiety. It was so good that I decided to fly to Poland for new years which also went pretty well - though the plane journey back was full up and I didn't like it at all.

However, earlier this year I took the plane with my friend to Düsseldorf, Germany. This one was quiet, with BA, and just a 1 hour flight but despite taking Diazepam I had some of the absolute worst panic attacks I had ever experienced. I was convinced I was going to have a heart attack and die on board as my heart was racing out of control. I couldn't breathe and was shaking like a leaf the entire flight (and for hours afterwards), just desperate for the plane to land again. I was an absolute mess, so much so that I lost my passport and it took the cabin crew half an hour to find it after the plane landed as it ended up buried inside the seat.

I have since moved on from my earlier relationship and now have a girlfriend from Germany. Luckily, I can visit her on the Eurostar train to Brussels and getting the "Thalys" service from there to Cologne which is a nice, but long trip. That takes four hours, but I swear that I will never, ever be able to even step on a plane again. I even have recurring bad thoughts about it before sleeping :(

mrmj
07-04-12, 04:01
It's just key to remember that if a real medical emergency did happen the plane can land in a near by airport where there will be ambulances waiting. I'm terrified of flying too but went to my dr who gave me diazepam and i took the plunge and flew to new Zealand for a year. I'm back now and whilst not a fan of flying I am almost intrigued and enjoy it in a weird way. I will be gripping the armrest with nerves but looking out the window in amazement at the same time. I managed to get through 11 flights in total in the last year which I am immensely proud of myself for especially as I had been having some bad panic attacks over pretty much nothing just before coming home and after getting home, yet I somehow just about kept it together for the flights!

Kevin123
10-04-12, 19:42
Was so informative to hear about the fear caused by flight. Mine is always about the access to a hospital or to a person trained medically, to assist should i find myself in a medical situation. This was made worse, when i was on a two hour flight and an hour in, the guy sitting opposite the isle started suffering a heart attack. It started a panic attack in me that i thought that i was joining him. I had no tranquilisers on me and had to endure the remaining hour feeling as if i was going to pass out. It was a full blown panic attack. Well thank goodness we landed and niether of us expired. His and my saving grace was the fact that there were three proffessionals in the medical field aboard. I am saying this,as if you are like me and fear that there is no help up in the air - believe me that considering the odds, there will always be a medically competent person aboard and you will recieve the help you need. The plane has a huge supply of oxygen and most airlines insist that the cabin crew do a life saving course. Long hauls, my GP prescribes a sleeping tablet, which helps a great deal.

Michael45
11-04-12, 14:53
If you can ... try to get some NOISE cancelling headphones from Bose and make sure they are connected to some relaxing music you like.
I have flown alot and I know of many people who hate to fly... but have to fly for work so they use these headphones to help the anxiety of flying. I don't have a pair myself but I have tried them during a flight and they really cancel almost all the noise of the plane. If connected to your own tape player or mp3 player then you can listen to something relaxing to help your anxiety to flying. Bose makes the best noise cancelling headphones you can buy and you can wear them anywhere you want peace and quiet.... They are relatively pricey but they do work. I hope this can help you with your travel arragements. Regards, Michael45:winks:

xvolatileheart
11-04-12, 19:26
Coming back from Turkey on a night flight I noticed it was lightening. Almost everyone on the plane was asleep including my hubby and my daughter. Im petrified of lightening. I was sitting on the seat by the isle.
The man opposite me must have realised how scared I was and reached over and grabbed my hand!
He chatted to me about anything and everything.
When we got off the plane my friend who was sitting 3 seats back asked what the hell was going on?!?!:ohmy::blush:
I still think how strange it must have looked.:roflmao:
But it did help. If id have wakened up me hubby he would have just told me to close my eyes and not look out the window.

That is so sweet, it actually made me tear up!

disco2195
11-04-12, 22:56
Dude I know where you're coming from!
One tip I was given is to write down what you think is going to happen and then review it in a methodical way. For example 'I don't want to fly as it isn't safe' could be your arguement. Though when you think about it is safe otherwise no one would use it anymore. Try doing a few more and see what you come up with....if you need any help just message me =)