PDA

View Full Version : Intercostal pain

Savannah
22-11-11, 14:44
I saw my GP again today as the pain became worse in my left side of chest. He reassured me it wasn't a clot or PE. I had my worry head on last night and I was really worried when why I bent over I had such a horrible throbing pulsing pain in my left breast bone area. He said that is intercostal pain and bending forward puts pressure on the muscles?

The muscles don't really hurt to touch in chest but he said as it hurts to bend over and sometimes to twist, I have torn muscles and need to rest.

BP was fine, 100/70 and he said with a clot or anything my BP would be very high? Pulse was up but he said that was because of me worrying about it all night, I hardly slept.

Has anyone else had pain like this and can relate? I have had this 4 days now:weep:

pablo22
22-11-11, 20:46
Hey Savannah! i always get this breatbone pain, it feels tight and heavy, so i usually confuse it with the onset of a heartattack! anxiety also gives me pains all around my chest, i find my chest in generally sore for a few hours maybe a day after a panic attack, becuase i would have been hyperventilating so hard!

the doctor also tells me its nothing to worry about :) hope this helps!

Savannah
23-11-11, 07:04
Thanks so much Pablo. I've had this 5 days now, so painful.

missfishlash
23-01-13, 22:47
I know its an old thread but just in case....Ive had this for two weeks now after two colds and flu, I get a chest infection and this intercostal pain, its horrendous! Obviously its making my anxiety worse which is pretty bad after being so ill for a month and being so tense is making the pain worse. Struggling to sleep cos I cant get comfortable and just feel downright miserable and sorry for myself tbf, but at least Im finally sort of convinced its not my heart,lol!
If anyone reads this and has had the same, how long did it take you to get better and do you have any tips for easing the symptoms, been popping ibuprofen for a week now and beginning to worry about my stomach.....arghhhh, sod off anxiety!!!

Fred Speed
24-01-13, 09:29
I am in exactly the same boat. Had a cold before christmas then had norro virus at new year (happy new year!). I also noticed over the christmas period that I had a tight chest like I'd smoked too many ciggies (not smoked for 2 years!). Anyway the vomiting caused me to have really bad chest/rib pain.

I also have a dog that pulls me like crazy if another dog or cat comes along so my muscles are being pulled constantly and therefore the pain never goes away.

I still have the bad chest so have now convinced myself that I have Lung Cancer! I'm 32 and otherwise fit and healthly.

Been to see the GP who assures me that it wont be lung cancer and it is just viral. So yes been ill on and off for 5 weeks and its no fun and does nothing for the old HA!

Everytime I feel the chest/rib/shoulder pain nowe I convince myself that the cancer has spread blah blah blah.

Anyone else feel like this?? It is really starting to get me down now :( x

missfishlash
24-01-13, 18:27
Yes Fred, Im trying not to doctor google lung cancer....one good thing, its made me stop smoking,three weeks now! Im still coughing and wheezing so my ribs arent getting a rest and Im popping painkillers all the time just to move or sleep
I really sympathise with you, all least I managed to avoid the norovirus! Get well soon ....both of us!! :)