PDA

View Full Version : How many different meds?

maxmc2
22-11-11, 14:50
Hi guys

Hope you are all well.

I have been suffering for the last 3 years with GAD, symptoms are headaches, dizziness and general anxiety.

I was under my GP for 2 1/2 years where i was on fluoxetine and citalopram and neither worked.

I recently went and saw a psychiatrist privately.

Since i have been with him for the last 6 months i have tried mertazipine and duloxetine.

So overall i have tried 2 SSRIs a TeCA and a SNRI.

Obviously i feel that ive got a better deal with the psychiatrist than my GP.

What i want to know is how long it took before you found the right medication for you , i know we are all different but i have been on 4 so far and not found any improvement.

Your thoughts are welcome.

Thanks guys

baileys
22-11-11, 15:41
I don't seem to be lucky finding any drugs that helps me either.

When i had anxiety in my teens i remember my doc trying all the normal drugs on me but none of them worked. He then put me on an isoc drug called marplan and 125mg of amitripyline at night to help me sleep, they worked but i must of been like a zombie, I think isoc drugs are the last resort now.

My anxiety came back in my late 20s and Ive not found anything that helps at all. Maybe just sticking with your therapy, seeing as it is helping is a good option and trying it without drugs. Ive nothing against people taking drugs but if you can train your brain instead of using pills then i think anxiety is less likely to return in the future. Or there maybe another drug available to you that you havent tried if you would rather do it that way.

missy_c
28-11-11, 21:02
There are so many different meds out there, one is bound to work for you. I've been on prozac, amitriptaline, two others in between which I can't remember the name of, st john's wort, citalopram, mirtazipine, venlafaxine and am now on duloxetine. Mirtazipine got be out of a very big low when I was admitted to a psy unit, but I found that venlafaxine and now the duloxetine works for me. The mirtazipine/venlafaxine combo I was on was probably the best - just hang in there as I'm sure you'll find something that works for you.

ElizabethJane
29-11-11, 22:46
Hi there Maxmc2 every episode off depression is different and we all react to medication in different ways. It would be impossible for someone to say yes this is the med that will cure them or relieve their depression? You are seeing a psychiatrist privately therefore he is giving you the fullest amount of his time to help you to get well again. He will try every combination of drugs plus therapy and inpatient/out patient treatment. Don't give up duloxetine did not suit me and I am on a combination of lithium and mirtazapine. EJ

haz
29-11-11, 23:28
If memory serves, I've been on around 12/13 different meds over a period of 22 years.

Don't worry you will find one that suits you. :)