PDA

View Full Version : Even excitment is maing me anxious!

Ambers
23-11-11, 14:29
Does anyone else get this? Even the things I enjoy I find my heart racing and anxiety setting in... I used to love my bed, work, being on laptop, watching TV and now they all make me anxious very anxious

Moggo
23-11-11, 15:01
Hi Ambers :)

I am exactly the same, enjoyment has totally gone. I lay in bed, nod off briefly and wake startled, this cycle happens over and over!

Too long on the computer and I start getting really anxious. Feels like I'm wasting time doing other things when I have all these 'problems' to solve, even though I can't solve them :weep:

You are not alone.

M155anthr0p3
23-11-11, 15:30
Is it that you're getting anxious when you're excited or is it the fact that you're more focused on your body's reaction TO the excitement now? :winks:

Ambers
23-11-11, 16:12
I am not sure but it feels bad like a panic attack is coming... I cant even watch my fav TV at mo :mad: It is like I have became over sensitive to everything

hyg
23-11-11, 17:11
Hi
This happenend to me just today- I had a day off and went xmas shopping was really looking forward to time on my own etc was in a large high street shop and the anxiety started creeping in ( I had a panic attack in this store years ago ) I forced myself to stay and carry on but didnt feel happy and could nt enjoy myself-it sucks dont it !!

Ambers
23-11-11, 17:51
Yes Hyg anxiety really sucks ...:mad:

oldtime
23-11-11, 17:53
What you are frightened of is the feeling of adrenaline and cortisol in your body. This is released not only when you are in a state of panic but also when you are excited, exerting yourself or under stress. You have become hyper observant of your body and notice the changes in chemistry when adrenaline is released. This is the problem but it is also the key to recovery. You need to learn not to fear adrenaline again. You can do this by deliberately releasing adrenaline into your body, eg. by running up and down the stairs a few times. You then need to observe the changes in your body that the adrenaline causes:

increased breathing
fast / fluttering heart
sweating
feeling hot
etc

Try spinning about in a circle until you feel dizzy.

Close your eyes and rock from side to side.

Do this several times a day and eventually you will de-sensitize yourself to the feeling of adrenaline.

It works, but you also need to learn other CBT techniques to make a full recovery.

potato11
23-11-11, 19:00
Hi Ambers

I am not sure but it feels bad like a panic attack is coming...

this caught my attention, cause it relates to something valuable that I've learnt about panic attacks. I used to view them as something that "happened" out of my control - like your wording suggests, an 'event' that occurs spontaneously, like being sick when ill - but actually, panic attacks are caused by your reactions to bodily sensations - panic can go as quickly as it comes because it is YOUR reaction - your body isn't discharging them willy nilly - they are caused and maintained by your fear - a panic attack is YOU panicking - it's not the body going haywire.

The way you choose to word it.... "feels bad like a panic attack is coming" highlights that you are feeling fear through anticipating an attack (known as anticipatory anxiety in CBT) but, actually, it's exactly your misinterpretation of body sensations and your fear of them that is causing panic attacks. Your body doesn't 'build up' to them - you do. Don't get me wrong, the body sensations can progress in intensity over time, i.e. muscles get tenser throughout the day you longer you tense them, etc - but you still have control over the 'panic' about this.

I recommend this for you - it's the reason I haven't had a panic attack in over 6 weeks now.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=91696

all the best :)[COLOR="blue"]

Ambers
23-11-11, 20:06
Thank you guys for your responses. They make sense but I need to absorb the information first. I will try the excerises and re-visit CBT programme. Appreciate the advice - it is what I need