PDA

View Full Version : St John's Wort

marie
02-09-03, 11:22
I've been using St John's Wort for several years. I think that it's helped a lot with anxiety. I'm much calmer than I used to be. I'm worried though that using it for so long may have some bad effects on me, so I'd like to quit, at least for a few months, and see what happens.

I'm wondering if I need to taper slowly or if I can just quit it?

I've been having some problems and wonder if the med may be responsible? One problem I have is that I fall asleep at odd times, such as when I'm typing at the computer, or while driving. Another is that I get words mixed up when I'm speaking. Often I'll say a word with the opposite meaning to the word I have in mind, or I will not be able to finish a sentence.

Has anyone else had experiences with this medication?

Thank you,
marie

Meg
02-09-03, 13:14
I took SJW for a few months. It can take ages to work but do think it was beneficial.
I tapered it off slowly. 2 a day for 2 weeks, 1 a day for 2 weeks etc.

There are no documented longterm detrimental sideeffects as long as you're not taking any of the meds that interact with it.

I don't think your symptoms have anything to do with SJW but you might like to ask for opinions at www.sjwinfo.org

I look forward to your questionnaire please - as you asked !

Meg

sarah
02-09-03, 15:06
Hi Marie
I too get words mixed up sometimes but i think that has do do with the anxiety... falling asleep while you are driving is dangerous, maybe you should go see your doctor and discuss it with him/her.
Sarah
x

bishop
14-09-03, 17:56
hi marie
why not write too the company tell them that these tablets are causing you problems,also see what the doc has too say as well.
bish