PDA

View Full Version : HELP

rackel
22-04-04, 16:23
Hi I am going to uni in october if I get in. Im just scared cos on my previous course i felt nervous all the time. when given a demonstration by the teacher 5 mins later i couldnt remeber what she said. It makes me feel stupid because everyone else is getting on with it and i have to ask what do i do next when its already been explained. I want to be able to cope but i cant even get a job because I freak too much
HELP!
Rachel.

apm
22-04-04, 16:48
Hi Rachel- welcome!

It sounds like you're having a bad time of it, but you have come to the right place. Writing your message was brave! First thing to do is to have a look at the 'first steps' section of the forum- it has some great advice and lots of useful information. Also have a nose around the rest of the site, and look at some of the linked sites too. The first weapon we have is being well-informed about our problems. It also can also guide you towards getting help from the right kind of professionals. The good news is that with the right help and support, the prognosis is really good! It may take time, but you can get better!
I'm certain that someone with more knowledge than me will be along shortly to give you some more advice. But just hang in there. You've come to the right place- this forum is wonderfully supportive, and enormously helpful!!

Keep the faith,

Alex.

Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
-Groucho Marx.

sarah
22-04-04, 17:39
Hiya Rachel

Welcome to the site.
What you describe will sound very familiar to a lot of people in here so take comfort in the fact that you arent alone.
Like Alex says, have a good look around and feel free to post any questions or problems you might have.
take care
love Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

nomorepanic
22-04-04, 19:53
Hi Rackel

I wonder if you are having problems with your concentration which is why you feel that you can't remember what was said.

Take a look at this other post too ... Concentration problems (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1040)

Good luck with going to Uni - you will love it once you are there.

Nicola

stimpy
24-04-04, 21:46
Hi and welcome !

Good luck with Uni
The best advice I can give you, is to tell someone you need help.

Teachers are more understanding if you explain you have problems.
If you say nothing, they will call you lazy and that you just don't want to work, and that will make you feel worse.
Where as if you tell them you have problems, they will be more understanding and cut you some slack.

Once you are there, you will love it !

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

uryjm
25-04-04, 12:25
Rackel
If you're going to Uni, you're obviously smart. One of the best things about studying at Uni is that you can choose a style of learning that best suits you. If you have trouble with something, see the lecturer on a one-to-one basis. Smart people tend to ask questions anyway, and want to get things right. You will love university, it will be one of the best things that happens to you, and you will find the confidence and positive breaks you want once you're there. The first positive step is to decide that you're definately going to go and that you're going to love it once you get there! Good luck.

Jim

sweetwater
26-04-04, 06:14
You'll be alright Rachel...i hear what you are saying...I used to get panic attacks at Uni, sometimes out of the blue and sometimes there was a reason that I could identify, like I was never a fan of having do oral presentations and stuff like that...but as the others have said - you're obviously a bright girl, and if you can just keep the panic under control through whatever works for you (therapy? meds?) you can shine and live your potential...it took me 5 yrs to complete a 3 yr course, so just remember, do it at your pace and things will fall in to place for you. Keep your chin up.

rackel
26-04-04, 10:37
thanks guys for your help. I think I will tell them I have a problem when I get ther. BUT HOW? Do people understand this sort of thing, how do I explain it?

rackel
26-04-04, 10:38
oh er From rachel by the way

Jules31
26-04-04, 15:52
Rachel

I have no doubt that the lecturers will have dealt with lots of people with similar problems over the years. You could approach a particular tutor or you might find through student welfare or something similar, the best person to talk to. Does the uni have a web site, often there is welfare advice on there and I've definitely seen stuff given to lecturers to help students deal with this sort of thing. My friend is a lecturer and she says that the uni owes it's students a duty of care. She has to be trained to provide one to one support to her students if they have problems including anxiety.

I had an anxiety attack in the middle of one of my final exams, which was so bad that I had to walk out. At the time I didn't know what it was and the dr said they thought it was a virus, but years later, I now know that it wasn't. The uni was great at working out my grades from my coursework and also from the exams I had completed.

Let us know how you get on. You will love it. Even with anxiety, uni life is brilliant. Oh I wish I was back there.

Jules