PDA

View Full Version : Red spots...

MaryMac
24-11-11, 18:21
Hi everyone, I posted a couple of days ago about being terrified of leukemia and thinking I have symptoms of it. Today I woke up and did my usual checking, ie for lumps etc... of course there weren't any. However, on my middle finger, I found several little red spots under the skin. I wear a ring on this finger so I'm not sure if it could be from that and stress? They're not itchy or painful and they disappear when I touch them. I know that a rash can be a symptom of leukemia so I'm just freaking out a little bit! I showed them to my friends and they couldn't see them, they were like "We can't even see anything!!"
Thanks. :)

countrygirl
24-11-11, 18:51
I know you know this but if you had any blood cancer you would be very ill and not worried about an almost non existant rash on your finger!

The rash you are worrying about is petechia which can also be caused by alot of none cancerous conditions as well so its not necessarily a sign of blood cancer.

YOur Dr can do a very simple blood test, full blood count, that is done routinely that will say for definite if you have any indicaters for any blood cancer- maybe you need to ask for this to stop you worrying. Have you also told your Dr about your health anxiety as they can refer you for therapy that might be of help to you.

MaryMac
24-11-11, 19:29
Thanks for the swift reply. I know I'm being so stupid, it's just the last few weeks I have had constant anxiety and sometimes it just gets so hard to control. I've had alot of therapy throughout my life and I actually have a very full, happy, healthy life for the most part with my anxiety under control but for some reason the last few weeks have been difficult! I know I should go to the doctor but I'm too scared! I'm trying to look at the positive things, I have no bruises, I'm not anemic, I'm not excessively tired or sweaty or feverish and I have no lumps.... And yet with all this I'm convinced I'm ill!
ARGHH!! :)

countrygirl
24-11-11, 19:50
:bighug1:I know jusst how illogical health anxiety is, I say I have a normal part of my brain and the other part that is in permanent freak mode!

You have really answered yourself with the reply, you have no symptoms of leukemia but for some reason your freak mode brain has latched onto this disease. My next door neighbour developed acute leukemia and his was picked up on a routine full blood count blood test but he was quite ill as well. My Gp calls this test the anaemia/leukemia blood test which made me smile as I have just had this done this week as part of routine bloods.