PDA

View Full Version : Is there light at the end of the IBS tunnel?

Tinkerbellx
24-11-11, 22:42
Doctor says I have IBS.. the term seems so vague as there are all sorts of varying symptoms of it. I take Mebeverine for it but I dont really know how much it does. Doctor told me to change my diet and gave me a little list of foods, I want to be careful as Im very tiny anyway and don't want to lose weight, I've lost a few pounds lately through probably worrying and eating less/less junk to try and help the IBS. Im rambling as usual.. but is there a way out of IBS? Its bad enough having anxiety without the added extras isn't it. :unsure:

vicky23
25-11-11, 16:45
hi yes it's awful to deal with both the emotion of anxiety then on top of that have awful pain and stuff in your body. I've been through it too and while there's no way out or cure I guess it's just about managing your symptoms so they reduce and that's very much linked to your anxiety levels so make sure you stick to any plans you have in place about managing anxiety like relaxation, exercise etc
If the problem for you is stomach pain I found buscopan which is an antispasmodic to be really helpful for easing the pain.
Try drinking chamomile tea, peppermint tea for cramps and nausea, ginger for nausea and to ease wind pain, fennel for bloating. Don't drink peppermint if you're prone to reflux though cos it can make things worse.
Try eating 6 meals a day rather than 3, little and often is good.
Take a prebiotic and probiotic supplement
that's all I can think of for now hope you start to see improvement very soon
x

ciccone-hassell
25-11-11, 17:22
colpermin help me loads you can get them from doctors and hyoscine butylbromide (buscopan) help but also when i was on amitriptyline i found my ibs went from spasum every other day to maybe 1 spasum a month " purely what i found " good luck ibs isnt nice and it anoys me because some people dont beleve how painfull this is , kindest regards

Tinkerbellx
25-11-11, 23:10
Thanks very much for your replies both, appreciated. :) I am hopeful as doctor says it's possible for IBS to subside when anxiety issues are addressed and levels are reduced. Will give your suggestions a go, thank you x