PDA

View Full Version : Mum - menopause, bleeding

daisycake
25-11-11, 13:40
Asking this to put my mind at rest as I'm worried. My mum's menopausal at the moment I think, didn't have a period for about 8 months to a year and then suddenly started again last night. She says she's not worried, she said it's old blood that she's passing and she texted her pal who said she didn't think it was bad but to ask doctor anyway. My mum was abused/raped as a child though and refuses point blank to discuss anything periody with doctors, or anything like that, so knowing her she will just leave it. That's left me worried, incase something more serious is wrong but she won't do anything about it? :(

Humly
25-11-11, 13:49
How old is your mum, if you dont mind me asking. When I was approaching the menopause my periods were all over the place. I wouldnt have one for months on end then would have them 2 weeks apart. This is quite common. It wouldnt be looked upon as anything untoward and her doc probably wouldnt do anything anyway as you have to have not had a period for 12 months before they will investigate. And even then its usually nothing as was what happened with me. Dont worry.

daisycake
25-11-11, 13:52
She just turned 46 in September.. glad you said that about the 12 months, was panicing!

baileys
25-11-11, 14:13
Humly is right, the docs probably wouldn't think that it was any cause for concern. My periods are all over the place, they come and go when they want. My friend stopped having regular periods at 48 she is 53 now but still bleeds once a year. Anything can happen when you are menopausal.

daisycake
28-11-11, 13:11
Thank you :)

She did actually tell the doctor who said it was probably nothing worrying but he asked her to go see the female GP at the surgery for an internal exam and they'll take it from there. I have read up on the internet and have convincedn myself they are not treating her right (aren't they meant to send her straight for a scan?) but I'm hopefully wrong. Will be asking my own GP about it all tommorow anyway.

Thank you for advice though x

---------- Post added at 13:11 ---------- Previous post was at 13:05 ----------

Wish I didn't feel the need to worry about everyone! It's terrible, so tiring.

nomorepanic
28-11-11, 13:38
They won't send her for a scan unless they feel it is necesary because of the costs. If after seeing the doc they think she needs one they may refer her.

I wouldn't worry though as periods can be all over the place at that age. I am 45 and mine are unpredictable too.

daisycake
15-12-11, 15:39
Well she has seen the doctor today. They said they feel nothing odd - though she commented that the exam was incredibly painful - but she has to go for a scan anyway, the doctor is saying that is just a precaution. I am really worried.

daisycake
01-01-12, 11:46
Still worrying. Mum reckons it is actually over a year that she had between bleeds, she is now having a bleed again after six weeks. Very scared.

sickandtired
01-01-12, 12:07
try not to worry,(silly coming from me) hormones can fluctuate throughout a womans life and it is probably the menopause.The scan will be to check for any fibroids ,endometriosis etc (treatable and not life threatening)
I was convinced i had ovarian cancer as i had 3 week periods every month (yes,just a weeks break) and i was very aneamic and weak,i was so scared.....
I had a scan,laparoscopy,hysteroscopy....turns out,my body isnt producing progesterone and my womb lining was twice the thickness it should have been
.....nothing serious,just hormone imbalance (and i suspect the start of early menopause,as i have night sweats too) ......all those months of worrying myself sick
the mini pill has solved the heavy bleeding,in fact,i dont have periods at all,its great!!!

justina
04-01-12, 23:40
Still worrying. Mum reckons it is actually over a year that she had between bleeds, she is now having a bleed again after six weeks. Very scared.

When will she have the scan? Most probably it's hormonal bleeding, try not to worry (that's easy to say, I know...:blush: )