PDA

View Full Version : Today I'm ok

Mitzie
25-11-11, 16:36
but who know about the next?

Hi there I'm Kirsty and I have negative thoughts that drive me mad, I feel low because of them and no matter how positive I am, they overwhelm me. I am 27 and the thoughts range from worrying about family, accidents etc. I also need to have things a certain way. I like things to be straight and facing a certain way. I know deep down that these things make no difference to what happens in the world, but I feel compelled to do them. I am getting better, however somedays are worse than others.
I haven't been to the doctors as I don't think I can sit and tell him/her.

I am so glad I have found this site and like minded people. I look forward to posting with you all.

diane07
25-11-11, 16:38
Hi Mitzie

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

nicola1980
25-11-11, 16:46
Hi and welcome :D x x

Rory
25-11-11, 17:17
Hiya welcome to the site :)

sickandtired
25-11-11, 18:33
Hi Mitzie
I didnt think I could face the doctor,but one day last week after a severe panic attack,i spent the whole day in turmoil,thinking about absolutely everything that was worrying me......anything bad that had happened to anyone....was going to happen to me or my family as far as i was concerned....i just couldnt shift this feeling of dread...,the TV was on in the background...it irritated me so much I shouted at it,I picked my youngest up from school,just her chatter was annoying me.....i felt so guilty.....i got home,my eldest 2 were back from high school,they all started bickering....nothing major,but i bellowed at them to shut up!! it didnt make sense because all my fears are about them....would if they have an accident?,get stabbed in town?,get abused,get swine flu,get cancer......every damn worry imagineable......i kept having crying do's as i argued with myself what to do.......
I eventually decided enough was enough......got to the doctors...i nearly collapsed on the chair as i poured all my worries out.....i was shattered afterwards,with the crying and going through everything...but he was so understanding and listened,he said Id been suffering for longer than i thought and had some underlying issues which CBT would help with.He didnt say " you must do this,or that" everything was my choice....wether to try some beta blockers or anti depressants,wether to have CBT or not.
I chose beta blockers as apparantly they work quicker to take the edge off the worry,calm your nerves down.I am now on the waiting list for CBT,and feel some of the weight has lifted already,though i know i wont be 'cured' overnight.
Please see your doctor! they are there to help & deal with this every day.
I also have bouts of OCD and cant stand odd numbers.
good luck :hugs:

Mitzie
28-11-11, 16:27
That is exactly what I feel I get mad with the people in worried about, I'm on beta blockers, for palpataions, but this doesn't stop the worries. Sometimes I just want to turn my mind off, if only I had an off switch. Lol. I am trying to work up courage to speak to a doctor.

suzybelle
28-11-11, 22:47
Hi Mitzie

I'd say the first step to getting to grips with this is to admit and accept that you have something going on.

Admission: If your state of mind and behaviour affect your normal every day life then I think it is worth going to see your GP. Mental health issues still carry a stigma, which doesn't make it easy to admit to one's self that you may have one. Your GP however, is a trained professional who has experience of dealing with people who see them with mental health issues. I'm not saying every GP is good at discerning and dealing with the issue - I've seen enough good and bad to know that the General Practitioner could probably do with spending a bit more time on psychiatric medicine than they do at present (learning it, not taking it :scared15:)!

What I'm saying is, go see them, but before you go, write down how you feel. Write down the way it affects your life. They will probably want to tackle it with medication. This is not the worst case scenario. It may be that at this time, there is a medicine that might help your symptoms.

Acceptance: I spent the last 2 years swearing to myself that I would never take anti-depressants again. But here I am on them again, but this time I reasoned: a diabetic uses insulin, someone with underactive thyroid uses thyroxine, so here I am taking a tri-cyclic anti-depressant because my neurotransmitters are all to pot. I know that this will not cure me. It will make life more bearable while I figure things out psychologically as well.

So - make an appointment - write down (bullet point if it helps) what the issues are - see the GP - see where it gets you. Also, if you can, find a friend you can share your feelings with. Sometimes just getting it off your chest can help.

Mitzie
01-12-11, 01:28
Thank you I think I'll try the writing down thing. I have a doctors appt. ext week.