PDA

View Full Version : Giving blood on Monday, is it safe for me?

Jack1231
25-11-11, 19:10
Hi, i'm giving blood on monday but am unsure that if it's gonna do any harm to me.

I have a low blood pressure and occasionally feel dizzy when i stand up to quickly. But more importantly I only weigh about 8 and a half stone (the minimum is 7st 12lb).

Cheers guys

Liliana83
25-11-11, 19:25
I assume giving as in donating blood? I'm sure the person in charge of doing it will go through what to expect, etc. I'd highly recommend you tell them the health issues you have..

Gemma T
25-11-11, 19:51
Yh tell them. They will know if it will put you at any risk x x x

Darwin73
25-11-11, 20:29
When I first gave blood I was only 8.5 stone (those were the days:D), and it was no problem. I actually felt quite energised after doing it, which I didn't expect. They do a finger prick test to check for anaemia and also get you to read a medical questionnaire before you donate to check that you are healthy to do so. Good luck, it is a really good thing to do!

pacer
25-11-11, 20:49
I used to give blood but the finger prick test for anaemia didn't pick mine up. i ended up with ferritin levels in my socks. i was ok though just a course of iron pills was all i needed.

swgrl09
25-11-11, 20:53
There is a weight limit through the red cross when you donate blood over here in the states. I think it's about 105-110 pounds, I don't know what that converts to for you. But when you go to donate, they usually check your vitals, test your iron levels with a finger prick, and your blood pressure and will tell you if you are able to give or not. They don't want to take the risk either, so it doesn't hurt to go because they will tell you if you are ok or not. Also even if you weigh enough, don't be surprised if you feel light-headed after or even faint, it is normal! Just take it easy, eat before and after, and have lots of water. It's not that bad, for me it was just the thought of it that creeped me out but I got through it fine and did it 5 times more!