PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

MsBelle
26-11-11, 21:11
Well, I don't know which forum to post in as I tick most of the boxes :ohmy:

I wouldn't admit this to many people, but I have had crushing depression, insomnia, anxiety and panic attacks for decades (my first panic attack I remember well, I was only around 9 years old..psychologists tend to be rather surprised when I say that). Agoraphobia still hovers over me like a ghost; I was literally prisoner in my own home for part of my 20s.

Somehow, I've managed to feed, clothe and make a home for myself but sometimes have meltdowns where I need others to intervene and buy me food (but that doesn't happen so much now there are online supermarkets, thank God for the internet).

I am an absolute expert at avoidance behaviour, re panic attacks. I have days where I'm very wound up or self-conscious and can't figure out why..still I manage to wobble through life.

As you can imagine, my personal relationships have been nearly nil. I have friends but have less of a social life than I did in my early 20s, before I gave up my job when the black clouds stole me away for years and I had my first breakdown.

Anyway, this ramble is to say Thank You for existing and Thank You for the advice and support within.

I just got my "nil points" Work Capability Assessment letter for ESA which made me burst into tears. Much like the last medical I went to, some questions I said "Yes" to are marked "No" and vice versa*. You read the stories about ATOS putting out lies and think it's overblown hysterical nonsense; believe me, it is true.

Again, thought I'd say Hello and I'll read through as many threads as I can.

*Is it maybe that they don't believe you? I wonder..

diane07
26-11-11, 21:13
Hi MsBelle

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

nicola1980
26-11-11, 21:14
Hi and :welcome: this is a fantastic forum with so many supportive people all going through the same sort of thing giving each other so much support :hugs: xx

pinkdove
26-11-11, 23:07
:welcome: to nmp, sorry to hear you are not so good at the moment, hopefully you will get loads of support here, read some of the forums. i'm sure you will find them helpfull. take care x

MsBelle
27-11-11, 01:05
Thanks for the warm welcome! I could bore you all with my experiences of medications, talk therapies, hypnotherapy (albeit masses of downloads that I've tried in vain to calm me, or help me sleep), even group therapy (something that fills the very private, proud me with horror) but I'll leave that for another thread.

One psychotherapist reacted very negatively when I shared my thoughts that some have genetically thinner skin than others; his opinion was that thought patterns and reactions can be overcome. I wasn't dismissing that out of hand, but I think innate personality has a part to play too.

Muddying the waters is one's diet, past life experiences, circumstances. Being dirt-poor and having barely any support network makes being ill much worse, not easier to overcome or cope, just another burden to carry.

The old saying is something like, if you're rich you're eccentric, if you're poor you're mad.

Resilience is the key word. Still working on that!