PDA

View Full Version : panicking after googling

whatisitnow
31-05-06, 22:46
Can someone tell me off for googling symptoms. I have just made myself panic even more. Im shaking now, how pathetic is that. Please can someone tell me if you had something nasty wrong wouldnt it have got worse in the last 6 months? 6 months ago i had the symptom, then i calmed myself down at the time after a few weeks & forgot about it, then a couple of weeks ago i got stressed and the symptom came back & the more stressed i get the more im aware of the symptom! Is that usual? And like i said, surely if i had something nasty i would know about it by now 6 months on wouldnt i? [V]

LC05
31-05-06, 23:00
I do exactly the same thing, and it really does make me panic more. I even come up with new illnesses that i've never thought of before! Im sure that whatever it is would have got worse if it was something bad (i try and tell myself this too). Have you seen a doctor to put your mind at rest a bit? Also you said the symptom went away when you stopped worrying and came back when you got stressed - if you were ill im sure it wouldn't just come and go like that.

whatisitnow
31-05-06, 23:06
Im too scared to go to the doctors. I feel alone in this anxiety for that reason. Years ago i was at the doctors all the time, i have gone the opposite way now and am petrified of going. I keep thinking maybe i just didnt notice the symptom the last few months but it was actually still there, but because i was busy doing other stuff in my life i just didnt notice it, im now having the anxiety that tells me ive been so stupid and of course its something bad! This is horrible.

vernon
31-05-06, 23:22
Hi Whats, I think lots of us get the same. Like you say we are realy upset and worried about an ilness that is soon going to kill us off, Then we forget it for a while. then it or some other ilness hits us and this time it seems different, so different form other time and we can tell its going to be fatal? and here I am 40 years later same symtom thats going to finnish me off very soon lol. Its not funny but arnt we stupid after going over it again and again and still letting it frighten us?. take care. Vernon

Daisybun
01-06-06, 00:01
My hubby has threatened to turn off internet if I continue to Google symptoms - i think he's right, it does no good at all, just makes me worse. Don't do it - that's for me too.
Take care

Daisybun

'This too will pass'

whatisitnow
01-06-06, 00:36
Thanks you lot. I need to have a word with myself, i am going to have to go to the doctors once the kids are back to school after half term because i cant keep putting myself through this, its too scary.

Jbgood
01-06-06, 06:01
Some advoce for you...

You say that you are too scared to go to the doctors, and i can understand that because I also suffer from health anxiety and I too have been in a position where i am too scared to go to the doctors.

However, there is a way to help yourself and i would give it some thought If I were you....

You do have a reason to go to the doctors. Your health anxiety is the reason. Whatever this other symptom is, put it aside as you have done for the last six months, and go to the doctors about your health anxiety. For now, don't even mention the other symptom to the doctor.

Tell your doctor that you are suffering from anxiety and have been for a while, and get treatment for your real problem, your health anxiety. There are medications that can help you, and ask your doctor to refer you for counsiling and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.

Chances are, once you start to defeat the real problem, your physical symptoms will go away.

A few days ago I would never have written the above. But i have been on medication since saturday and i feel almost perfect. And now i look farward to my therapy and to be honest, for the first time in 14 years, i feel like I have the strength to beat this evil curse.

I will say it over and over again on this forum. Google is not the way to go. DO NOT GOOGLE SYMPTOMS :)

whatisitnow
01-06-06, 12:49
Jbgood i know your right. I wasnt even totally googling what i was worried about it being, i typed in underarm muscles, cuz i wanted to see what a picture of those muscles look like because im sure me thinking about the sensation in my arm is making me tense those muscles, and up pops a page with everything and anything & a sentence with similar symptom as mine & the word cancer next to it. Never going to even think of looking on there for anything now! lol
But you're right, i need to sort the anxiety out because he will put my mind at rest about this symptom & thats great....til the next thing comes along! vicious circle![:I]