PDA

View Full Version : Panic attacks in the home

rocklover
27-11-11, 21:56
Most of the advice about stopping panic attacks seems to revolve around those that happen outside the home in certain situations. However, I have panic attacks at home for no apparent reason (although I can recognise feeling sick as a trigger as I am emetophobic) , I can have 2 or 3 a day and feel very anxious in between times.

Does anyone else get panic like this, or am I just completely mad?

macc noodle
27-11-11, 22:36
No, Rocklover, you are not mad!

Mine can occur in the home or out - doesn't matter where I am when they strike!

If mine occur at home I get more frustrated because I cannot see a trigger or a reason - which of course makes it even worse!!!

I run up and down stairs if mine start at home - it tends to put it in its' place!!!

Don't worry RL, you are not alone!

:-)

Rod
28-11-11, 10:17
I get them at home too. Which at first is very disheartening because you should be able to feel safe in your own home and it is like they have invaded your safe space.
Whether you get them at home or out it doesnt really matter about the trigger because you cant avoid everything because with anxiety and panic it can be constantly reinventing itself.
There are times when you have to do what you have to do to get through it, but over time try to accept them, knowing they cant hurt you. Easier said than done I know.
Distractions will work until the time they dont, but accepting and slowly moving through them is the best way to go.

12ema
28-11-11, 18:12
I get them alot when im at home to and when out! i agree it sometimes feels worse when your at home because you are already in your safe place but even then you still panic! Once we loose the fear of thease panic attacks and feelings im sure they will slowly begin to stop . But i dunno how to loose the fear thats the problem. im also have fears of being home alone being on my own when having panic attacks really scare me . something else to overcome x