PDA

View Full Version : First smear tommorow..

daisycake
28-11-11, 18:56
Not looking forward to it!

Is supposed to be on Thursday but I have the GP tommorow anyway and am going to nudge her into doing it instead as I've had vulval surgery and have been diagnosed with vagnisimus so could do with someone who knows me well..

Any tips for making it through without going hysterical?

nomorepanic
28-11-11, 19:07
It's not that bad really to be honest.

Just relax because if you are tense it could hurt a bit more.

Don't think about it and don't worry - it will soon be over

daisycake
28-11-11, 19:17
Thank you :) I should be quite relaxed having had surgery there before, and having had internals a couple of times already (twice with a speculum) so I know I shouldn't be worrying but suppose it is human nature!

ElizabethJane
28-11-11, 19:45
Hi Daisycake I had wondered how your surgery went and hope everything went ok? A smear test can feel uncomfortable and you might bleed a little but that is it! If you feel woozy ask to lie down for a few minutes. The insertion of a contraceptive coil is far worse. The doctor will use a speculum probably with a light attached to get a better look. I hope this answers some of your questions. I'm not sure how long you will have to wait for the result though. EJ.

daisycake
28-11-11, 20:30
Surgery was a lot better than I thought thanks :) They did it under a spinal anaesthetic, it was getting the jab that was most scary.. They gave me midazolam just seconds after the spinal took hold as I got myself into a panic, and I had a reaction to that (became restless, anxious and upset) so they gave me something to reverse it.. I remembery very little of the whole thing other than someone asking me what I took escitalopram for, I muttered something about having an anxiety disorder and depression and the whole room burst out laughing - the anaesthetist said that he'd never have guessed :P I vaguely remember insisting that my oxygen mask smelt horrible as well, and refusing to take it.. But the only thing I clearly remember is kind of getting the midazolam, commenting that I felt sleepy, and then suddenly someone telling me I was cooperating better now (which baffled me) before then telling me the surgery was the first night finished (which confused me further!). Post op was a nightmare, I had to sleep over and couldn't wee well for a night or two due to the cystoscopy, was screaming in pain when they tried to get me to use a bedpan in the ward - and due to the labiaplasty I couldn't walk properly for a week or so, but once the swelling and pain went down I felt fine and five weeks on feel like a new woman! Yeah, I have had speculums there before (SIMS and CUSCO)... the first wasn't sore at all, it was the second (the CUSCO one) that was more unpleasant because they caught the skin a bit. I'm mainly worried about fainting but will ask if I can remain lying for a bit after!

Liliana83
28-11-11, 21:06
It's not that bad really to be honest.

Just relax because if you are tense it could hurt a bit more.

Don't think about it and don't worry - it will soon be over

Great advice!

ElizabethJane
28-11-11, 22:07
I felt faint after the coil but not after a smear test. I have had a spinal anaesthetic too and was awake for the procedure but given oxygen and valium. Post-op is horrible because you can't move your legs and having a bedpan is the worst thing! I would opt for a spinal again if I have to have surgery. I am on less meds now but it was because I am so sick after anaesthetic. EJ.

swgrl09
29-11-11, 12:46
Smear test is not bad at all!!! I was so scared and honestly, once they have the speculum in there, if you are relaxed you won't even notice and it takes about a second. Then it's done! I'm a wimp too so that is saying something.

fluff
29-11-11, 12:52
I just had my first recently mine didnt hurt or anything i just think it abit strange haveing it done but its soon over and its always good to have it done just to be safe.

daisycake
29-11-11, 13:42
Was cancelled at the last minute - GP got all the way to agreeing to do it (albeit next week and not today due to lack of time), before then suddenly asking if I'd ever had sex before.. I replied that I haven't yet, and she then said I didn't need a smear and she'd take me off the list for them.. I've to phone or stick a note in for her when I do have sex and they'll do a smear within a year of that - so not too bad!