PDA

View Full Version : can medication make you depressed?

loreen
29-11-11, 11:15
Hi
I have suffered with anxiety for many months and have tried ssris to try and get well.I am on escitalopram at the moment, and for the first few weeks my panic/anxiety was not too bad.However,after about 6 weeks I started to feel really low and the anxiety came back.I have never suffered with depression,just panic,and I wondered if it could be the meds doing this?
I am now at what feels like breaking point,with my anxiety making me sick and my head full of "brain chatter" that wont go away.This coupled with feeling so low is scaring me into stopping the meds,but then I am worried I may be even worse.

chappers1980
29-11-11, 12:27
Hi Loreen,

For some people it can take ages to get used to the medication. I'm on m 6th week of Citalopram and i still don't feel much better but my GP has assured me for some people it can take longer. I wasn't really suffering from depression when I first started but its a long old journey to get back to full health so its bound to make you feel low. Please don't worry, I feel just the same as you. However if you are feeling like you can't cope, talk to your doctor, they maybe able to give you something else to take the edge off whilst your escitalopram starts to work. They've given me Proprananol as well but some people are on diazapan as well. Whatever you do, don't stop your meds without talking to the doctor because then you will feel REALLY bad.

Keep smiling xxx

alwaysanxious
01-12-11, 20:10
im on cipralex ( same family) and it took me 12 weeks before i recogonised me again, stick with it there just getting to know you well thats all!!!

x

pinkdove
01-12-11, 21:53
Lorren, i can't add much more except it took a good couple of months for me to start feeling better, and i take citalopram, try to stick with it, my depression started to lift when my anxiety levels fell, i'm sure it is just your body adjusting to the meds (hard i know) but it will be worth it when you feel the benefits. take care x