PDA

View Full Version : help needed!!!!

smogie
30-11-11, 18:49
hi ive suffered from panic since i was about eleven a long long time ive had very good spells and extremely bad spells becoming agoraphobic on two occasions last year i had a bad time and decided to do something about it and now after a course of cbt and ongoing medication i feel no better i have stupidly agreed to an overnight shopping trip to london of all bloody places and am now trying to get out of going because of the overwhelming sense of fear and panic that plagues me every time i think about going HELP i dont know what to do

nomorepanic
30-11-11, 18:51
Hi smogie

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

smogie
30-11-11, 19:21
i really hope so cos am strugg;ing at the mo

Patsta
30-11-11, 20:27
Hi Smogie,
First of all, you are not alone in what you are feeling, and you've come tot he right place for support as many of us here on this site understand you are what you are going through. You need to be kind to yourself. If you do not feel well enough to go on this shopping trip, then don't go, simple as that! Take small steps, one at a time. With each small step that you take, you will realise that nothing bad has happened, which in turn allows you to take a little bit of a bigget step next time and pushed the boundaries a little further. I started suffering from anxiety 10 years ago, and was pretty bad in the beginning, to the point that I couldn't even get in the car a drive. I went on medication which helped me function normally again and have been on and off these meds since. The one thing I've learned is that nothing bad is going to happen, and I put myself out there not allowing this condition we suffer from doing the things we want to do or have to do. I must admit, at times it is very hard, but like I said, one small step at a time!
You say that you are on medication and its not helping. What meds are you on and how long have you been taking them? As you probably know, these meds for our conditions do take time to work, but if you have been them on for a few months ans they are not helping, it might be wise to check with your doctor about maybe trying something different.
You will be fine and get through this, like so many of us have....
Good luck and keep us posted!
Cheers
Patty:D

smogie
01-12-11, 19:10
thanks patty ive been on citalopram for over two years now have had it reduced to ten mg cos i was doing so well!!!! havent been back to the docs since i started going down again really want to do this trip as i know i will just beat myself up about it but am terrified x

Patsta
02-12-11, 20:28
Hi Smogie,
Quite often we think we are doing so well....and we are, so we reduce our medication or come of it, only to start feeling bad again....that doesn't mean we have failed...it just means we are not quite ready to do this on our own. The first time I came of my medication I fell flat on my face....within a month...so quickly went back on it. Since then I have been on and off countless times, the longest period I've been off is about 2-3 years....then something triggers it...usually exhaustion...(always seems to happen arounf christams) then I go back on the meds. I think you need to go and see your doctor again and increase your meds back to what they were when you were feeling well....as for the trip....DO NOT BEAT YOURSELF UP OVER IT.....If you think you can do it....then go for it....it may be a little tough for the first part, but I'm sure once you get started with the shopping...(a little bit of retail therapy always helps me, but not the bank account! lol) you will forget all about your anxiety and you will have a ball! Has your doctor prescribed you any valium or something similar. My gp has given me Xanax, (not many doctors here will prescribe it as it is addictive drug if taken for too long) it is an anti anxiety drug and works within about 10-15 minutes, just relaxing you and taking all the anxiety away. I only ever take it when I first start taking my meds and can't cope with all the side effects...and only for a couple of weeks, but only as I need it. I was always a little apprehensive to take it at first, but in those early stages, it let me get on with my day and do things that normally I wouldn't be able to. Sorry...I've babbled on.....lol
Smogie, you need to do what is right for you, and what you feel comfortable doing....like I said, don't beat yourself up over it...if you can't go to this shopping trip, there will be others.....
Take care....good luck.....let me know how you go!:D

smogie
03-12-11, 06:44
thanks for that im gonna go for it! am going with my daughter who is extremely supportive and totally realises how bad i can feel she also has a lot more faith in me than i have in myself! she has made an itinery of lots of nice things to see and do but has also said if we have to sit in the hotel all day then thats what we'll do shes fab so wish me luck getting the train at nine will be back sunday with a report thanks for listening it really helps watch this space xx

terror-x
03-12-11, 09:56
welcome to the forum :)

Patsta
03-12-11, 23:05
Good Luck Smogie, You will be fine and have a fantastic time.....its great that your daughter will be with you and is so supportive....it is very important to have supportive people on our road to recovery!

smogie
05-12-11, 19:05
well dontr know what to say got there fine had a lovely time for about five hours hardly any anxiety at all then paid £100 to come home had a major panic and just had to get out of there:weep: since i came home my anxiety has been very high i have to accompany a family member to an important hospital appointment tomoz and am already panicking at the thought