PDA

View Full Version : Should I be on Citalopram?

Josh19
30-11-11, 18:53
For a few months now I've felt unable to think clearly, to the point where I actually find it hard to have a conversation as I feel so dissociated, like I'm looking through someone else eyes. I can't concentrate, feel on edge all the time, no appetite with a general lost of interest in pretty much everything. My sleeping is awful, over the summer I remember travelling in a tent and not sleeping for 5 days straight, I still often go days without sleep then have days where all I do is sleep and don't have the energy to get out of bed. I feel like I've lost my entire life to this feeling, or lack of.

Now when I explained some of this to my doctor he simply put it down to stress and put me on Citalopram 10mg , I've been on them for 18 days now and honestly I haven't noticed a change, if anything I've started to feel worse.

Has anyone else felt similar to this? Should I stick to the Citalopram or perhaps inquire about different medication or a stronger dose?

pinkdove
30-11-11, 18:56
josh you are on a very low dose, and it is early days, they can often make you feel worse before you feel better, i would speak to your gp, and he will advise you on your dose, try to stick with it they do work, they have for me, but it takes time good luck x

Lion King
30-11-11, 19:42
Did your doctor offer any king of counselling?

Citalopram will take a while to get into your system, I started on 10mg for one week then 20mg for 8 weeks. Its a rollercoaster but when you reach the end (Corny I know)you will reap the rewards!

All the best!

LK

Jonquil
30-11-11, 19:49
Hi Josh, as Pink Dove says,you are on a low dose and it is early days. I was prescribed Citalopram for GAD about a year ago. It took sometime before I felt any effect (on 20mg) and then several months to really feel back to normal. However it really has made a difference. Stick with it but definitely a good idea to keep talking to the GP. Things sound really tough for you and I hope they start to improve soon. J

evil monkey
01-12-11, 01:57
Personally for me when I went on citalopram, it was like an extremely positive kick up the *. I noticed the difference within hours, literally. It was like having a blanket lifted off me. I'd challenge a suggestion of placebo with money, for me personally. If you aren't getting anything from it, you *could* try upping the dose temporarily. In the evening or a day off, when you can fizz for a few hours and it won't be a problem.

radoel
01-12-11, 08:18
I too am on Citalopram and felt really bad for the first 2 weeks - i even rang 999 at one point cos I was that scared about what was happening to me.
I was then prescribed some tranquilisers to get me through that period and the Citalopram began working about 3/4 weeks in
persevere with them for a while yet

kwarly
01-12-11, 10:15
i agree with above!