PDA

View Full Version : paroxetine

Emmie
01-06-06, 18:56
Hiya has anybody been on this medication? Id never heard of it before but was prescribed it today.

Reading the leaflet it sound slike it has more side effects than the others ive been on.

Also it says to avoid alcohol which is slightly worrying as i tend to drink quite a lot when i go out and the doctor said i should probably stay on this medication for at least a year!

Anybody know anything about it? Thanks

Em x

clickaway
01-06-06, 19:15
Hi Em,

It's an alternative name for Seroxat, which you may well have heard of.

They do indeed list a number of *possible* side effects, it all depends on the indivdual.

I have taken this and was OK with it, although you may experience some funny side effects as your body adjusts to it.

If you feel bad with the drug after a couple of weeks, let your doctor know. I think the usual advice is to withdraw from the drug slowly should you wish to.

Take Care,

Ray
http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Emmie
01-06-06, 23:26
my doctor has started me straight on 20mg- im scared about this. Im totally terrified about taking this medication- i ahve been reading up about it and have scared myself silly. Im not sure what to do :(

clickaway
02-06-06, 12:59
It's quite normal to start people on 20mg.

It's the recommended strength in most cases.

Ray
http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

whatisitnow
02-06-06, 13:03
Oh geez it wont be any good them giving me anything that i cant drink with, going out once a week is the only thing that can give me a break from this bloomin thing lol Hopefully there are drugs that you can drink with. I had a Diazapam yesterday at 5pm & had a couple of bacardis n cokes last night when i went out & was fine? Im hoping the doc will give me some more of those just to take when and if needed now and then because that single one i had left last night in the cupboard from 2 years ago sorted me out good and proper & i feel like a new pin today to be honest!

multiplexor
02-06-06, 22:37
Hi Emmie,

I have been on these tablets for just over 2 months. I started taking them at the same time i was coming off clomipramine, and found that i had a few bad days to start off with. Since then, i have been much better, and going on my experience, would recommend them.

Good Luck
Multiplexor

xGURUx
02-06-06, 23:17
hi emmie i been on it for 2 years and i drink i had no side affects at all i recomend it it has helped me ,not 100% but cert improvement ,iwas scared just like u but some times enoughs enoutgh and u gotta try.

Emmie
05-06-06, 10:22
Hiya everyone,
thanks for your replies. today is the day i'm going to start taking them and i am scared silly but I have to try something. It says to take them with food but i feel so sick already im not sure i'd be able to keep anything down!

I will let you all know how it went-just wish i wasn't at home alone today.

Em xx

lisa p
05-06-06, 13:49
Hi Emmie,

Good luck - I was given paroxtene in January but as yet have not had the courage to take any.

I have never taken any meds and would be very interested in hearing how you get on with them.

Good luck and well done for having the courage to take them.

Lisa p

Southern_Belle
05-06-06, 17:13
Em,

I am on paxil and have been for quite awhile. It has saved me with my anxiety. The only side effect I had going on it was headaches but I get them anyways. I have tried all of the anti-depressants and by far this helped my anxiety the best. As for drinking, I don't think you are supposed to really drink on any of them are you? I tend to have a glass of wine or two every now and then on it but rarely. Drinking to decrease anxiety really isn't the answer anyway as you are more anxious (and hungover) the day after! I hope the meds help you as much as it has me.

Bel

Paul_Z
07-06-06, 20:48
Hi tHi, first of Im a newbie here and this is my first post so here goes..

Ive been on seroxat for a number of years (well 9 to be precise, but thats a long story) and I have to say like you when I went to take the first tablet I did have doubts.

I would urge you very strongly to give it a go. Seroxat really did help me and did change my life.

That said its no panecea, what it does is help you take your foot off of the anxiety pedal so you can get some headspace to deal with the root cause of your anxiety. This has been my mistake. In 9 years on it although I asked I never got any additional therapy such as CBT so when I took the plunge and came off I've struggled (though I am now doing a CBT-ish group course)

My tips:-
1) You WILL in all likelyhood feel a bit more crap before you feel better. Please please please dont let this scare you like it did me the very first time (my GP didnt warn me you see so I shat myself and stopped taking them after 3 days!!). If after a week or so you still feel rough or are having suicidal thoughts or rages go to your GP...

2) After 2-3 weeks you WILL feel a bit better.....

3) Once your up and running (give it a month or so) you will probably find you can go out and get as pissed as a pudding ....I have but I didnt go to mad early on.

4) Make sure that along with the meds you try to get some CBT based help so that you can tackle the root issues. This has been my big mistake...

Good luck

Paul

arethaire
11-06-06, 21:08
Hi Emmie

I took Paroxetine (Seroxat) for about a year, 3 yrs ago. It did help with my panic/anxiety but I gained a lot of weight with it. I don't know if anyone else has had this problem with it though.

Cath x