PDA

View Full Version : does anyone else that has less anxiety/panic find that they're now more depressed?

Littlehelper123
02-12-11, 13:12
I don't really have panic attacks and Anxiety anymore, its mainly low moods =/ I think it's because my anxiety has withdrawn me from EVERYTHING and now I am better , I have nothing.... no qualifications, nothing...

I start college again in January so I'm hoping i'll feel better

but yeah, I'm just wondering if anyone else gets depressed even though their anxiety isn't really around anymore

thanks x

---------- Post added at 13:12 ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 ----------

can anyone answer? =(

crystal17
02-12-11, 15:47
Yes, I find that when my anxiety and panic eases off I'm left with a horrible depressing feeling and have horrible dark thoughts, and when I'm anxious I feel more 'alive' if that makes sense?

You will hopefully feel better when you start back at college, a distraction and a focus can be amazing for depression x

mallan82450
02-12-11, 17:21
Forgive me if this sounds rude but it sounds to me like you're looking for something to feel unwell about. If you're beginning to feel free of the symptoms of panic and anxiety (which ou should feel very lucky) then this will open up so many opportunities that weren't their before.

Get outside, start a hobby, meet up with friends, that way you won't be giving how depressed you might/should feel a second thought.

theharvestmouse
02-12-11, 19:53
Yes, I just posted something similar on the General Anxiety thread. Tonight I feel just as bad even though anxiety wise its been a better week. But now I just feel very unhappy in my life and the tablets are sapping all my energy and motivation.

Patsta
02-12-11, 20:37
Hi Littlehelper123,
I hear you! Yes, yes,yes.....I do feel like that...absolutely....my anxiety starts to ease up, but I feel more depressed....and NO...its not "looking for something to feel unwell about", it is quite common for anxiety sufferers to feel depressed when not so anxious.
I have to agree with getting out a little bit....once you do start college, you will feel much better, but in the meantime, try to have some fun and enjoy life a little, do things that will take your mind of how you are feeling and you will find you start to feel better.
Good Luck...take care:D

william wallace
02-12-11, 21:56
Same here, never anxious and depressed at the same time, it's one or the other. I'd take the anxiety over the depression.:winks:

missy_c
02-12-11, 22:01
I do get anxious and depressed at similar times, so never know what feeds what...i.e. am I anxious because I'm depressed, or depressed because I'm anxious? I do find though that when one overriding symptom goes, the other one seems more prominent. No one is worse than the other, but when the panic/anxiety stops I don't know if its that I get time to think about stuff more as opposed to have my mind racing, then and it makes me depressed? Just a thought but an interesting point you raise! As I tend to get a wave of panics, followed by a period of depression. That's the way it seems to go, but I never know if there was a depression "lurking" in the background that triggered the panic in the first place...

lauz_lea
03-12-11, 08:32
I have recently had the revelation that my anxiety seems to cause my depression, but I'm still trying to identify exactly what comes first. I'm in the first couple of weeks of being back on Seroxat and my anxiety shot through the roof (but keep trying to remind myself it's just a side effect). Yesterday I was scared to be home alone, but also scared to leave the house. I hadn't slept the night before and was exhausted and disconnected.

Today is a different story, I went to bed at 6pm last night, had a great nights sleep and got up at 5am, had breakfast, watched all the things I missed on TV last night, I've had a shower and now preparing to go out with my husband and daughter. I can feel the anxiety creeping up a little but I feel I'm able to keep it at bay today.

I was originally diagnosed with depression about 15-16yrs ago but I now realise that anxiety and depression went hand in hand but the anxiety wasn't something I realised I had, I just thought I was going mad. Hence, the depression was treated with AD's but the anxiety was never addressed (but the AD's worked for both).

Once I am over the worst of the SE's from being back on AD's I intend to discuss the anxiety issue properly with my GP.

ankietyjoe
04-12-11, 13:21
Same here.

I haven't really had a proper anxiety attack for a number of weeks now but my mood has dropped dramatically.

The odd thing is that i've been left with all sorts of physical niggles (aches, paines, dizziness etc) after the PA's have stopped which inevitably leads to some HA, but that never turns into a real panic attack. It just leaves me feeling doomed and without hope.