PDA

View Full Version : 15/20 years of panic attacks ... time to tackle

Smiffy3594
02-12-11, 14:42
Hi everyone

I've finally come to the conclusion that I seriously need to takle my panic attacks after 15/20 years and went to see my doctor again who suggested trying calms or another herbal remedy and to try and start with little outings and to read a book by Claire Weekes, I saw them before but was told if I go out dont commit to being in the situation all night, tried that but even before I got out my front door I freaked out and couldn't go.

I don't know what started them, I can still remember where I was when I had my first one around 15/20 years ago, which was very scary.

I've recently joined a new team at work really nice bunch of guys and we had an offsite meeting last week at the meeting I was absolutely fine but as soon as it came to going for something to eat and drinks after the full day meeting I freaked out, feeling surreal, stomach churning, wanting to run etc and had to make an excuse that I didnt feel well and went home once I was home I was fine !! so frustrating !!

There's another offsite for the whole company next week in London which I know I wont be abe to do without panicking and its a conference not a social thing so there's no pattern, but have already made an excuse and taken a days holiday !

I thought it would help to speak to other people who experience panic attacks and what is helping you guys get through them when they happen.

nomorepanic
02-12-11, 14:44
Hi Smiffy3594

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

bergertime
02-12-11, 19:19
I understand where you're coming from. I had my first panic attack about 15 years ago. Never really dealt with my anxiety until this summer. But looking back, I can now see how my behavior has changed. Went to a conference a few years ago with some of the guys from work in Las Vegas for a week, guess where I was the whole time......yep in my hotel room. These are friends of mine, I've worked with them for years. We have a bar at work that we open on fridays, I could not tell you the last time I hung out. I get all these big plans on friday on how I'm going to stay, but 5 hits and there I go sneaking out the door. I just don't get it.

Smiffy3594
02-12-11, 19:53
Hi Bergertime

If you don't mind me asking how are you dealing with the anxiety.

For me it doesn't help that I also have IBS and not sure if that sometimes the IBS sets of a panic attack and visa versa.

All these years I've been trying to figure out why I panic my doctor said its not about the cause its overcoming it by not panicking if that makes sense.

I just hope that by speaking to other people who experience this will help.

I've beaten other issues - 5 months ago i was signed off work because of workplace bullying from my boss - I've been back at work for a month now working for someone else and love it - still see old boss on a daily basis it's a little uncomfortable but I don't have a panic attack - I think coming through that has made me acknowledge that I have to confront my panic attacks and come through those ( I know it's gonna be tough):wacko:

bergertime
03-12-11, 01:17
I'm with you on the IBS. What I have I call more anxiety attacks than panic attacks. For a long time I was in denial. I would blame it on my stomach not feeling well, or I would have a headache. This past summer it all came to a head for me. I was under a lot of pressure at work and finally snapped. I spent two weeks in bed, I was really unable to function. I thought I had lost my mind. I went to my doctor who gave me zoloft, that's how I found out what a true panic attack was like. Got off that, went and had CBT, 8 sessions, it helped some. What I do now is run, massage, and stay away from Dr. Google and this website.
I still have bad days, in fact I can feel it pretty much every day. My doctor said the same thing.....just float through it. I have a hard time 'just accepting' it. I want to know why and how I can stop them. For me the most frustrating part is not understanding it....How can something so simple as going out for dinner freak me out?
I do want to add this though after my crash this summer I can 'see' anxiety in others. If that makes sense. I work with a guy who's a bully too, I always just thought he was a jerk, but after my crash I kind of feel sorry for him because I can see that's it's just a manifestation of his anxiety. Don't get me wrong, he's still a jerk.