PDA

View Full Version : does anyone else think that the future looks bleak?

br19893
03-12-11, 12:41
Hey just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on this..
Seems like lately all that's on the news is more bad news, the recessions getting worse, more people are losing there jobs and all that. I'm an 18 year old girl going to uni next year but it all just feels so pointless!
I don't know if its the anxiety or just how everyone's feeling at the moment but I really have no motivation to try at college or plan for my future because I'm so scared of what could happen and how things could change :/
Any input is helpful, thanks :)

Rain
03-12-11, 13:36
Hi Abs,
Yes we are right in the middle of a bad recession. Where I live in Ireland it is even worse. Everyone is just clinging on by their fingertips. However, these things go in cycles and as surely as night follows day- boom will follow bust. Life is precious so even in the middle of dark ecconomic times it's important to try to stay cheerful and think about the good times ahead. Getting the best education possible will stand you in good stead to get the best job when more are available. Don't despair. Things will get better. I have lived through several boom and bust cycles. The nice part about living in a recession is that the richer years are still to come.

theharvestmouse
03-12-11, 17:24
the current doom and gloom mirrors my own thoughts on how my life is, but I actually don't care about the economy, I couldn't give a stuff because its the least of my worries at the moment, money is just not important when its a struggle to just try to carry on living and not giving in and digging my own grave before my time.

It may well change, and you should be positive, especially because you are just 18 and have time on your side.

crystal17
03-12-11, 18:20
Yes I know exactly what you mean and feel that things are very bleak and that we are living like we are walking on eggshells. If there isn't a world war, a huge earthquake, a solar flare or a mutated virus to wipe us all out, if we somehow manage to avoid all these things happening then I worry about next december 2012 and the world ending.
I cant help feeling like time is running out :weep:

Sorry that sounds so depressing, on the plus side at least then we would all be free of worrying :huh:

br19893
03-12-11, 21:59
Thanks guys your right I'm young and have my life ahead of me, but crystal I can't help agreeing with you! Even though my rational mind thinks that the 2012 theory is a load of crap, my anxiety has actually made me believe this and its like subconsciously I never think too far ahead because I'm so scared of the future!
I wonder if people who don't have anxiety also sort of think like this deep down, or whether it is completely irrational.
If something was to happen though, I don't wana waste the rest of my life worrying! When you live in an anxiety bubble life passes you by so quickly and you never really feel any emotion :(

---------- Post added at 21:59 ---------- Previous post was at 20:42 ----------

This might make you feel better though.. this article is proof of all the scaremongering that goes on because of the internet http://www.ufo-blogger.com/2011/06/nasa-sent-out-familypersonal.html?m=1

After all that the comet burnt out like all other comets do! Omg I need to get a life hahaa

crystal17
03-12-11, 22:48
Omg abs, that article has got me worried now lol! Is that an actual memo put out by NASA then, and if so why?

About the 2012 thing, if it makes you feel any better I don't know a single person who is the slightest bit worried about it and I've talked to alot of people about this. I wonder if I only worry about it because I'm anxious all the time and do worry about doomsday prophesies.

Agh got myself all worried, I'm so pathetic!!!!

petepie
04-12-11, 02:24
Yea aint looking pretty alright,but hey at least you dont live in a slum in africa,now them chaps have it tough,not us:scared15:

br19893
04-12-11, 10:54
Woops I wasn't meant to scare you, this is what ended up happening.. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45050612/ns/technology_and_science-space/t/comet-elenin-dead-along-doomsday-predictions/
This proves how much idiots on the internet can exaggerate something!
And no your not pathetic, anxiety is a disorder that has that affect on you..I want to try cbt but I don't know where to go to get help?? Have you ever been to the doctors or anything?
Very true petepie just need to put things into perspective every now and then eh!

Dazza
04-12-11, 15:11
I've made a point of not watching the news, reading newspapers for the past 2 years.... there's just too much negativity in the media, when there's actually so much positive stuff going on in reality.

happydylbob
04-12-11, 16:57
I know what you mean Dazza. I try to avoid the news as they always focus on the bad and the worst possible scenario.
I also suffer with major anxiety about this topic and I hate hearing other people speculating too. Seriously thinking of trying CBT to see if it can help.

JohnBliss
04-12-11, 17:05
Me too!!Listen to the News as little as possible if you want to stay happy-very little of it will affect you personally so why bother with it Appreciate the simple things in life like a walk or a bicycle ride.I too have been through far worse times than this-it will get better

crystal17
04-12-11, 18:55
Woops I wasn't meant to scare you, this is what ended up happening.. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45050612/ns/technology_and_science-space/t/comet-elenin-dead-along-doomsday-predictions/
This proves how much idiots on the internet can exaggerate something!
And no your not pathetic, anxiety is a disorder that has that affect on you..I want to try cbt but I don't know where to go to get help?? Have you ever been to the doctors or anything?
Very true petepie just need to put things into perspective every now and then eh!

Dont worry hun I'm easily scared lol, and I didnt read it properly to realise that it was something people were worried about in the past that never caused any problems.

I had CBT about 8 years ago after my son was born and I had post natal depression, and I found it very useful but I just sort of stopped going as it got to the point where I was too depressed to even talk to anyone.
I've been to numerous counsellors since then and only found one that really helped me and understood me.

Why dont you try for CBT? Just ask your GP to refer you, I think thats how to do it...I dont know as it was my health visitor who referred me for mine.

It would prob really help you with your irrational thoughts and worries :)

happydylbob
05-12-11, 14:21
I know what you mean about looking around and no one else seems that affected by it all. I can't look through a newspaper without my heart racing that I am going to turn the page and see something that will send me into a panic. I don't know how people read them everyday and then can switch off to what they have read. I think it must be the anxiety that makes us hyper sensitive to these things.