PDA

View Full Version : thyroid and anxiety

heavymind
02-06-06, 06:42
What exactly is this about? For a different reason, I had once taken a blood test and thyroid was normal. That was more for a little bit of obesity. I am not too obese any way.

Ram

whatisitnow
02-06-06, 10:35
Underactive thyroid will never make you put more than 20 lb on in weight anyway, so no one can blame that for being obese unless they are overweight already to start with lol But i think underactive thyroid can cause mood swings etc, not too sure if overactive has the same effect. Possibly does. It would be rare for the thyroid to cause anxiety & mood swings though & if you have been tested yours isnt to do with that. Underactive thyroid is rare in people under 40 & is more common in women apparently.

Daisybun
02-06-06, 11:14
Yep overactive can cause symptoms of anxiety as there is too much hormone released into the body, everything is on overdrive. I had this condition 10 years ago, lost loads of weight, very shakey and breathless - but not the fear side. Underactive made me depressed, tired, no weight gain though.
Hope this helps

Daisybun

'This too will pass'

Southern_Belle
02-06-06, 19:51
I have hypothyroid which is the underactive one. I did get it before 40! It can really control your mind and body and I lost weight at first but have never been what you would call overweight. Like Daisy says it does the above but also makes your hair and skin really dry. It also does cause anxiety though. It also makes you have a foggy brain when your tsh is off. I control mine by medicine.

Bel