PDA

View Full Version : Starting a new job away from home?

FelicityMarie
03-12-11, 21:11
Hey all!

Just had the news that I'm starting a new job in Butlins Bognor Regis (which is 300 miles from my home) and I'm going to be living in their on site accomodation. I'm not worried about starting the job itself (which is a Barmaid in their pub), the thing I'm petrified about is sharing a flat with 3 other people! We have to share a living room and a bathroom, so the only personal space I will have is my bedroom. I understood at the interview that I'd be living with other people, and I thought at the time that it'd be a perfect way to combat my social anxiety and panic attacks, so felt quite confident. The only problem is that now it's getting closer (20th December), I'm absolutely petrified! :weep:

How can I walk into my accomodation with my head held high and know that I'm going to be okay? As at the moment I feel like I'm going to be anything but okay! :shrug:

Thanks everyone :blush:

richardbrown
03-12-11, 21:19
Felicity I know nothing about social anxiety but from just reading your post I know you are a confident girl who will get on just fine with the others sharing your flat. 90% of people out there are genuine caring people so dont worry.

I know you are going to love the job and this WILL do you the world of good.

Best of luck

Rich x

Scottish_lad100
03-12-11, 21:41
well done felicity at getting that job :)

Just be yourself, you dont have to be over confident or necessarily bubbly to win people over just be friendly and polite towards others and you wont go wrong! people wont judge you for being shy its normal! i know if i was in your shoes i would also be petrified but its good that your fighting your anxious feelings! stay strong...

and good luck in your new adventure :)

johnno
17-12-11, 00:13
I know the feeling felicity , its a bloody nightmare that feeling of apprehension. i once heard a guy say to get over social anxiety you have to realise that happiness doesn't come from what people think of you and i like that! in the sense that we worry so much about what people think but what does it matter anyway ? having said that it is pretty difficult in practice. let me know how the job goes :) I heard everyone that gets a job at butlins are alcoholics ?? lol

Littlehelper123
17-12-11, 11:19
First of all well done for applying and getting the job! Thats amazing! Second , say to yourself "im gonna try it!" .... you won't know what it's like until you get there, so Just set yourself some goals.

1. get there
2. say hi to your fellow roomates
3. let them know about your worries
4. ENJOY YOURSELF!

They are probably just as nervous as you remember. Also maybe you could take someone close to you with you just to get you settled?

good luck xx

william wallace
18-12-11, 00:35
Hi de Hi, Ho de Ho. Is that Butlins or Maplins:shrug: